View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Expert Registered User

Talking

standard practice is to notate tubas of all pitches in bass clef, and euphoniums and baritones also in bass clef.

The reason you may get asked for euphonium and tuba parts in treble clef is due to the British brass band system, where Eb and Bb tubas are notated in transposed treble clef, and euphoniums in Bb transposed treble clef. This system evolved to give the same fingering pattern across all instruments: i.e. E is always 1st and 2nd etc, no matter what the concert pitch name of the note, in the same way that the saxophone family is transposed today. This enabled players to transfer easily from one instrument to another, across the whole band.

However, orchestral (and most wind band parts) are almost always in concert pitch bass clef, and as you said, the main difference is range. The euphonium is a tenor tuba, and is often called such orchestrally. (However the standard editions of many major Strauss works give the euphonium part in transposed bass clef! The less said about that the better! Some very recent editions are adding a concert pitch bass clef part)

Tenor clef is used in the same way as in trombone parts; i.e. to minimise excessive leger lines.

Range shouldn't be too much of a worry in any arrangements;we have all pitches of tuba available, and euphoniums with good chops! If you'd like range suggestions let me know.
Many thanks for your interest
Sue