View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 AM
suetuba suetuba is offline
Expert Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 88

I don't know the range of the piece, but a useful way of working this out is to remember that C on the horn is concert pitch F, ( on the piano); a horn part should always be in one more sharp than the piano part.
So if you want the piano part to be in C, then the horn part will be in G. If you want the horn in E, then the piano part is in A.
I always make a transposition chart when doing this kind of stuff: write a chromatic scale out over one octave for the piano, then underneath, aligning the notes accurately, write the matching chromatic scale for whatever instrument you are transposing to/from. I.e. for horn, write a C chromatic scale starting at F on the piano chromatic scale. This will tell you which note corresponds with which; especially useful with accidentals!
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote