View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Junior Registered User

Wink Some Thoughts

The Bach trio sonatas consist of three parts: a pair of hand-played lines and a basso continuo. BWV 525-530 (6 trio sonatas) were written for organ. One part for left hand, one for right and 1 for pedal.

To transcribe these to a duet with 1 piano and one other instrument, my guess is an instrument as a cello might provide the bass line. Perhaps a violin can provide one of the melodic parts and one of the piano hands, the bass.

Can anybody transcribe Bach's organ trio sonatas for a small ensemble (or a duet) with piano? What are your takes or insights, anybody, on transcribing Bach's organ works as I have idealized herein?

How about other organ works of Bach as the organ concertos as follows?

* BWV 592 — Concerto in G major (after a concerto by Duke Johann Ernst)
* BWV 592a — Concerto in G major (an arrangement of BWV 592 for harpsichord)
* BWV 593 — Concerto in A minor (after Antonio Vivaldi's Concerto Op. 3/8 RV522 for violin)
* BWV 594 — Concerto in C major (after Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto Op. 7/5 RV285a 'il grosso mogul' for violin)
* BWV 595 — Concerto in C major (after a concerto by Duke Johann Ernst)
* BWV 596 — Concerto in D minor (after Antonio Vivaldi, Concerto grosso, Op. 3/11 RV565)
* BWV 597 — Concerto in E-flat major (spurious, source unknown)
* BWV 598 — Pedalexercitium ("Pedal Exercise") in G minor (improvisations recorded by CPE Bach)

The above organ concertos have been recorded by E. Power Biggs (color highlighted and these are the ones I am familiar with: the G-major/Ernst concerto's 2nd movement is Grave in E-minor) along with the 6 organ trio sonatas rendered in both organ and pedal harpsichord. The 2 noted concertos follow a similar pattern as the 6 trio sonatas, which they complement well:

3 movements- fast to moderate/slow/fast to moderate