Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Features Requests
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Skill levels

Perhaps I have misunderstood something here, I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong... But!

If you look at the very easy levels for violin, they are very easy. They even have the tonenames and the appropriate strings written in. If you look at the music for trumpet (or most of the brass in general) in the same genre, you will find that the tecniche needed to perform those pieces are way above very easy level. I have not been able to find a single piece of music for trumpet that doesnt contain notes with ledgers. To produce tones from D and up to F is second, even third year students work. And to go even higher, like the first B with a ledgerline? I have met students who have been studying for five years or more and still having problems producing clean and clear, intonated high tones like these. So I am simply wondering, what is it that makes these pieces so very easy to play? Not to mention the notevalues, how many of you have students that have been playing for one year and are fully able to master semiquaver? They havent even heard of such notes! I find many of the pieces here interesting, and those for piano, violin and flute are perhaps quite easy to perform. The ones for brassinstruments how ever... Has anyone noticed that many of the intervals in the music can be very extreme to manage on a trumpet, whilst it may be the easiest interval on a violin because you simply change to another string? I get the feeling that they have been written by a computer transposing programe, and not by a brass musician. I am sorry if I am incorrect in my assumptions, so please, anyone... Sort out this matter and provide me with an answer.

Blitza
Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
CEO

Hello Blitza and thank you for your post.

What you are writing is very interesting for me since I made almost every transcription on Virtual Sheet Music. Despite I can assure you I did them myself "by hand" and not with the help of a computer program (except for engraving the music), I am a professional composer and a professional violinist, so it is possible that I didn't write trumpet transcriptions so good as I did for the violin. Absolutely any your advice and suggestion are very welcome, please tell me more about this issue with examples of specific transcriptions you found wrong or too difficult so I can improve them.

Please, note anyway that there are not VERY EASY pieces for trumpet in our repertoire, but only pieces marked as EASY (despite for violin we have something VERY EASY).

I look forward to hearing from you, your help is really appreciated.

Sincerely,
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Junior Registered User

Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes, I noted that there are no pieces for trumpet marked very easy, it was not right of me to write it like I did. English is not my native lanuage (I am Norwegian) so I sometimes express myself poorly.

Nice of you to take intrest in my opinions. I write some music myself and I teach and conduct groups of children in the age beetween 8 and 12. (Therefor my intrest in the easy section.) I have to my surprise learned that it often is very clear what instrument the composer plays himself. It is of course much easier to write for something one is totally familiar with than for instruments one perhaps does not know so much about. It is inpossible for a composerto know everything abaout every instrument! This is even more clear when writing easy, because there are so many different limitations one has to bear in mind.

I am more than happy to comment on some of your work in the brass section.
I can also try to write some of the most important things to remember for future transcriptions, like range and technics required for each level, if you like. Perhaps you have an email adress I can send it to?

It might take a little time though, beeing christmast is just around the corner, I am up to my neck in work, concerts and student arrangements I must attend.

As soon as things cool down to normal again, I will certainly send you my thoughts.

And don't forget, this site is very good and I take great pleasure in my membership. Keep up the good work!!

Blitza
Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
CEO

Dear Blitza,
you are very welcome! Your English is perfect, don't worry... I am not a native English neither! (I am Italian despite live in the US).

Of course, please contact us from our Contact Us page, then we'll be able to have a normal e-mail correspondence (I don't write our direct e-mail address here to avoid further SPAM to our mailbox).

I look forward for your advices and suggestions.

Thank you very much for your kindness and interest again!

Sincerely,
Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio - VSM
Of course, please contact us from our [...] then we'll be able to have a normal e-mail correspondence....
I wouldn't mind being a party to this conversation. I haven't raised this issue because I felt like it must be the case that I was the only one who had trouble with the range requirements of your arrangements. (I'm not a real trumpet player, after all. I don't even play one on TV. I'll consider myself a success if I get good enough to join the community band in another year or two.)

It really depends on what your target audience is for the "easy" difficulty level. Certainly, it does not include middle school students. My son thinks you are a bit evil, really. "EASY?! HE CALLS THIS EASY?!"

You don't use difficult keys or overly complicated rhythms, but the range you write for on trumpet is really out of reach for players until they have developed quite a lot of chops. I just barely have enough chops to play maybe 75% of your "easy" arrangements myself.

I do think it's a bit of a shame, particularly, that such giveaway freebies as "Happy Birthday," "Amazing Grace," and "The Star Spangled Banner" are so inaccessible.

If this is by design because you are aiming at something that will be dead easy for a veteran player with years of horn time, then so be it. If you think these are "easy" for the sort of player who would actively seek out something with that name in the title, then I think whatever encyclopedia of arranging you use has given you an overly optimistic understanding of what is actually achievable in the real world.

I play at arranging too, and do a little composing, so I'm not throwing rocks at your head here. You should have seen some of the things I wrote for trumpet before I played one. I don't think you could play this stuff on a piccolo trumpet if your name was Maurice André, but my fake MIDI trumpet had no trouble reproducing it at all.

And while I'm writing you, I will thank you for the Christmas collection for trumpet and Eb horn. This is also a good example of what I'm talking about though. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star has a whole bunch of high As in it. Deck the Halls goes up to B or Bb. Jingle Bells has a high A. Then Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring runs toward the higher end of the range and goes for four pages with a repeat. It's hard to call any of this "easy" I'm afraid. Beautiful, yes. We'll get there eventually. Just not before Monday.

I suppose in a perfect world, I'd like to see many of these moved up to "medium" with easier arrangements at "easy." There is nothing wrong with your fine arrangements, and I want to play them as you conceived them someday. Just not this season. Maybe not in this decade. By 2011 though, surely, I will be able to play all of it, and maybe reach some of the things you have at "medium" now.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 PM
CEO

Hello Slivan and thank you for your comment.

Yes, I agree with you. Actually many arrangements for trumpet need to be revised and corrected in the real "easy" range of the trumpet. I think the big mistake from us is to have kept written the same skill level for all the versions of the same collection without to think that any instrument has a different type of difficulty. We'll work on this as soon as possible.

Thank you for pointing this out once more.

All the best,