Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Sheet Music Suggestions
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 02-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Mentor Registered User

Right, I just always wondered why violists can't read like a violinist would. Esp. if they started on violin.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
Right, I just always wondered why violists can't read like a violinist would. Esp. if they started on violin.
We do read treble clef just like a violinist. It's not the standard though. Much of the viola range would be mucho ledger lines below the staff.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Expert Registered User

Default jeeViola and Treble Clef

Many Viola method Books, with specific reference to Dr. Whistler and the Rubank method books, include sections on playing Viola when written in treble clef. Recently I had to remember the rules of Finale and take a piece for Viola and rewrite it in treble clef to avoid 4 to 5 ledger lines about the staff. Some of us cannot count, or have the visual acuity we had when much younger to count the small ledger lines as fast as we need to and maintain the time signature. And with VZM, you will notice his Thais' Meditation for Viola swithes to Treble Clef and then returns to Alto. Yes we do read treble clef, and we are masters of going Both Ways . In addition I recently received some Scottish transcriptions for Viola and they are presented in both Alto and Treble Clef to assist Violinists who have not been trained in the proficiency of swithing and going both ways. Violinist remember we are tuned a third below in fifths. So there is no magic in the proficiency of either instrumentalist to read or reinterpret tunes written for either instrument. All instrumentalists that commit their God given talents to maintain making a Joyful noise and perserving the culture of the past and future RULE.