Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > other instruments...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Senior Registered User

Hello, I've got TWO births!! A little tin whistle that EADG bought me and a Kawai ES4 piano keyboard.
I don't think you're going to see much of me around here in the next few days, seeing as I've got three instruments!! (guitar, piano and tin whistle)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Forlorn French Horn (it rhymes)

When i was in primary school, my friend got a brand new Hans Hoyer double. As occasionally happens, the mouth piece got stuck, so my friends dad solved the problem with a pair of pliers. Unfortunately, the mouthpiece was stuck in harder than the leadpipe, because the leadpipe broke clean off. $4000 worth of horn down the drain.

Fortunately it was insured, but my friend has since then stopped playing horn.

What an unfortunate end to such a beautiful instrument
Old 11-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Aww, such a sad story!

Haha, okay, several accidents have happened lately, but no recent deaths:

My friend's piccolo had to be marched in the rain at Upper State competition this year, and all the pads are swollen and messed up...poor thing.

And another of my friends managed to get her cleaning cloth stuck in her oboe yesterday!! She had to take it to the store...cost $50 to get the thing out, but it definitely came out.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Expert Registered User

i once got my cleaning cloth stuck in the crook of my alto sax had to poke it through with a pencil which luckely pushed it through.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flootalicious
i once got my cleaning cloth stuck in the crook of my alto sax had to poke it through with a pencil which luckely pushed it through.
I wish I would have had that luck with my piccolo...had to send it in to a music shop for about a month and they had to drill the thing out. I was SO upset.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007
Default A Haunting!

Think back - 1983; many musicians are playing wonderfully on all of there instruments when all of a sudden the trumpet player drops his instrument and a, (it's so hard to type this) a piece of the bell falls off... The trumpet players hopes and dreams are in shambles, then he has an idea, and he grabs some super glue and glues the bell back on the trumpet, but wait it gets worse...

A year or two later the same musician is playing the same trumpet, and the bell falls off, from the joint connecting it to the valves on to the end of the bell, it's almost as if it were sabotage...The trumpet player broken hearted, and crying leaves music forever, with his trumpet in the dust.

2007 A strange new wind is blowing on the High School campus where the old trumpet player and his horn had played all those years ago. What is this the old horn is found, still broken battered and beaten; A young musician finds the instrument the Band Director says, "You know if you want that one you can have it, it'd make a good lamp." The trumpet became very angry, and at once the young musician knew what must be done. The Young musician had to find a way to return this trumpet to it's former glory, but how... Then it struck him, he knew a man who could use fire, and lighting to bring new life to this old tired horn. He knew he must let the man do his... For months this man struggled to get the right combonation, waiting for the right storm... Until one night, he went to sleep and the tools in his shop came alive and returned the trumpet to it's glory... He awoke and the trumpet was playing new things never heard before, so the man returned the trumpet to the Young musician, and the trumpet has regained it's powers of old...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Junior Registered User

Unhappy

This is not my story, but still upsetting to me.

One of my friends had accidentally blown up his violin with fireworks...

The pictures were horrible....

He then switched to the viola.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Expert Registered User

I certainly hope he didn't do the same thing to his viola!

Anyway...on the topic of instrument deaths...

One of my private students did something very similar to the original story with her flute. She had just gotten a very nice flute (Pearl, I think), and was sitting on the couch practicing. She was called to supper, and set her flute back on the case (didn't take it apart - just set it across).

Her brother finished supper before she did, and headed in to watch tv. He flopped down on the couch...and... I think the only part of the flute that wasn't mashed was the foot joint. Needless to say, she was more than a little upset.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Wow I haven't been on here in forever, but yeah have a few instruments that aren't doing well, but ones that I've picked up with the intention of fixing. Two trumpets that are a little under the weather/trying to raise them from the dead. And a few violins, which need minor repairs.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Junior Registered User

Default horror

What a nice and sad story.