Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Composers > Bach, J.S.
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Bach Werke Verzeichnis, German for Bach work registration. Wolfgang
Schmieder was born in Bromberg in 1901 was a music bibliographer, studied at Heidelberg and is best known for his catalogue of Bach's works.

Thankyou Fred, that was clarified ealrier in the thread, post number 17.
Now I wonder if you speak german, since the spelling of the Bach Werke Verzeichnis was perfect!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjrc@yahoo.com
finally!! after like 3 months of wondering somebody actually bothers to post an answer to the origional question!!

Actually the answer was posted before, and then the thread had taken an interesting turn.
Welcome Mr. Jrc on the VSM boards!
I hope you'll enjoy posting classical-sheet music related issues on here!
Sincerely,
Sylvia
Old 03-23-2006, 03:32 AM
Junior Registered User

BWV is the acronym for Bachwerkeverzeichnis - a long German term which translates as "Bach Work Catalog". Like Mozart, Bach was incredibly prolific in the generation of music. Most of his works were written for a specific occasion but little value was placed on them during his lifetime. When Wolfgang Schmieder undertook the task of compiling a cohent list of all of Bach's compositions, an incredible amount of research ensued. The fruit of his labor is accepted universally as the most definitive catalog of Bach's music. No one is absolutely sure that all Bach compositions are represented in the catalog (the same problem that is presented in reviewing Köchel's compilation). Occasionally, you will find a Bach work that has an "S" number instead of BWV -- these are one and the same. Virtually all sources prefer to show BWV numbers for consistency's sake.

I copied and pasted this so you know, from "www.theclassicalstation.org" which is a great classical radio.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Expert Registered User

Answered twice before this; 14/11 by Fabrizio with a link to Wikipedia, and 7/12 by me.
But we can keep on answering it if you like. Or we could move on to all the other rather fascinating composer opus lists! Or then again, maybe not.
Sue
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Junior Registered User

Lol thanks TVL. But still, I feel as an...idiot towards Sorsha and his brother. Oh well, it's over now. Nevertheless, I know something new...there are a brother and a sister in this forum: Sorsha (alias artsywright) and her "knowledgable" brother (Carl)...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Junior Registered User

Default BWV numbers explained

This article explains BWV catalog numbers for Bach's works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BWV
Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Junior Registered User

Default BWV not BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Why are these initials in front of many of Bach's works? I assume "B" stands for Bach, and "W" & "V"? Are they the initials of a parent?

Bach Werke Verzeugnis : catalogue des œuvres de Bach, Bach's works list. The same "v" for Kv, Mozart's works list established by Mr Köschel...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Junior Registered User

I asked my ever so knowledgable brother about it ( ) and he said that BMW marked the cataloguing system for Bach's works. Like "k." for Mozart. Some one went through and tried to number Bach's works in the order that he wrote them. I haven't the faintest idea what the letters stand for.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
tylerjiang

Red face

Bill's right - all men are bum bandits, anyway.