Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Clarinet
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 11-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Junior Registered User

Default three oehler clarinets

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I started this thread because I recently inherited three Oehler system clarinets from my grandpa. He brought them to me because I play clarinet, and he thought i would appreciate them. apparently, when he was seventeen he played clarinet. There was an old lady that knew that he liked to play clarinet, so she dug out this case full of clarinets out of her attic and gave them to him, having no need for them. Apparently she didn't know anything about these clarinets, which leads me to believe they are quite old. (this would have been in the 1960's when he received them)
I really wanted to learn something about them, so I took them to my teacher. She was able to tell me this: one is a b flat, c, and an A clarinet. the A clarinet is a buffet, and it has a marking that says "836D1" at the bottom, at it is marked "LP" for "low-pitch. The other two clarinets have no markings whatsoever. They were in a case that looks custom made; it holds three clarinets, and is leather.

If there is anyone knowledgeable of these types of clarinets, I would most appreciate any information about when they were made, history, how much it would cost each for a full refurbish, etc.
(They are all wooden and in pretty bad condition. They would probably need new pads, corks, and the buffet's bell is slightly cracked/split. The c is pinned in a couple places. Cleaning is required; it has accumulated a green, waxy substance around the rings.)

Thank you very much in advance.

PS. Again, absolutely any information is much appreciated; even guesses.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Junior Registered User

Well, I found out that the Buffet was made in 1910, according to the Arkansas University's website...