Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Hey guys. I want to practice right now, but I need to vent before I can even hope to be motivated to. Ugh, my band cares nothing about me. Anyone else around here makes something like CSYO (Charlotte Symphony Youth Orchestra) or All State, or something small and just in the community, a big deal is made, it's announced to the school, and they encourage everyone to congratulate them and hold them all high. But when I work my butt off and make the Honor Band of AMERICA--the most prestigious high school ensemble in this country that you can make--it's all kept quiet and hushed. I've been told not to become a mini 'Lauren Remmers' (she's a legend in our flute section...she graduated 2 years ago, and is an awesome flute player...just really arrogant and snotty)...and I've been given lectures and been told not to become arrougant, and then the entire band hates me for working hard to not only become as great of a flute player as I can and accomplish my wildest dreams, but to bring up this stupid band's name so we can get a little publicity for our hard work... Yet nobody ever takes the time to encourage me and tell me congrats for working so hard. It's cutting into me like a knife little by little. They all hate me cuz I work hard. What's up with that?!! Why can't those stupid people be nice for one time in their lives and congratulate me on getting such a high honor, and working so hard, and trying to accomplish my biggest goal in life? It's already bad enough that my directors don't appear to care that much for my hard work, but for the entire band minus the few friends that do care about me to hate me for working so hard? Talk about harsh...it's not fair.

Thanks for reading this if you got this far into my rant. I just needed to pour my guts out...I was sorta shocked just now to see that they still have the CSYO stuff up, but I'm nowhere in sight, and it sorta cut me pretty deep. Thanks for being here you guys; I miss getting on here all the time and hope I have time this summer to talk more. ttyl.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Expert Registered User

this is mean and rotten, the way you've been treated. Well, stuff them all, CONGRATULATIONS!
The only thing wrong with your working hard is that it shows them up- so small-minded they can't take pleasure in someone else's achievement, since they have done so little.
I also wonder if it's a bit of musical snobbery - maybe they think orchestras are better than bands? We know it isn't so. I reckon your achievement is so far above their heads that they can't remotely begin to understand what you have done!

The best revenge you can have is to become an even better player than any of them, even better than Laura. (So good that they explode with jealousy! ) And being a good musician, knowing you can always play the part, literally, is the best reward of all.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Sue
Old 04-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Thanks for the encouragement, Sue.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Sue, you are so right! Loren, you've done great!!! I can only wish that I was as good as you are on my flute! Congratulations girl!!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Mentor Registered User

Thanks you guys. It's very comforting to know that people out there are supportive of overacheiving musicians like me.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
Thanks you guys. It's very comforting to know that people out there are supportive of overacheiving musicians like me.

Are you still looking to pursue a degree in music at university? Try to focus on that, and realize that, however annoying, your current situation is temporary (easy for me to say since I'm 17 years out of high school ) The hard work you put in now will help you achieve your goal of getting into the school you want later.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinViolin
Are you still looking to pursue a degree in music at university? Try to focus on that, and realize that, however annoying, your current situation is temporary (easy for me to say since I'm 17 years out of high school ) The hard work you put in now will help you achieve your goal of getting into the school you want later.

Yeah, I'm definately looking at a music degree--preferrably performance, but my parents are trying to ban me from it, even though it's my dream. I've been trying really hard not to bother with what everyone else says behind my back, or how little support they show, but at times, it gets overbearing.

Hey can anyone on here tell me anything about the Curtis Institute of Music? I've looked at their site some, and they appear to have an awesome flute professor...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera

C'mon Picc, you know you're doing fine and we do too! Just ignore them, it's hard, I know (been through some of that myself), but as long as you know you're doing what you have to do, what the rest say is of no importance. Now don't let the stupid comments bother you, and focus on what you're supposed to do; remember all the good things people have said to/about you and forget the bad ones. Work hard for your dreams but keep your feet on the floor!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADG + cetera
C'mon Picc, you know you're doing fine and we do too! Just ignore them, it's hard, I know (been through some of that myself), but as long as you know you're doing what you have to do, what the rest say is of no importance. Now don't let the stupid comments bother you, and focus on what you're supposed to do; remember all the good things people have said to/about you and forget the bad ones. Work hard for your dreams but keep your feet on the floor!

Thanks. I'm definately trying...it gets hard when you have all but like 2 people in your entire band against you sometimes. But family/a new teacher/people outside of my town make life a lot easier. (Yes, you guys definately count as some of the people outside my town. haha). Thanks again guys for being so helpful!!