Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Horn
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Junior Registered User

Default horns and horn music

Hi,

I'm a horn player too. Regards single vs double horns - the answer is very much like choosing a car. If you want to keep up with how people play in the 21st century, then you NEED a double horn. Modern double horns tend to be wider bore and can produce more noise, so for pieces like Wagner and Strauss, etc, you can compete with the huge string sections. Playing on the Bflat side is useful when playing high notes - you will find you split fewer of them. You can also get single Bflat horns (for people whose arms get tired), and double Bflat/high Eflat. You can even get triple horns, which combine F/Bflat and high Eflat. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have plenty of money (the cheap ones are dreadful to match tuning and timbre) and you're an olympic weight-lifter (you get almost 3x the pipe work).

If you like playing pieces from the early Romantic period, then you single horn is probably still good. Pieces like the Franz Strauss horn concerto go better on the F horn for fingering, aren't so demanding at the high end of the range, and don't require the power of sound. Richard Strauss no 1 will work ok this way (he wrote it when he was quite young), but no 2 is definitely in the modern horn school. Both Strausses wrote quite a bit for horn, which you could use for your recital.

If you like a bit of fun, see if you can get hold of a copy of Punto's concertos. Try to play them on the F horn, with and without valves. It will make you think differently about Mozart's and Haydn's concertos, and Beethoven's sonata. You should also try the Mozart horn duets (Fabrizo has made lots of instrument combinations for these, so you might be able to get a pair of transcriptions that work flute and horn. Alternatively, this is a good set of pieces to get practice in for transposition! Make sure that the part that you play from is written in C, and the transposition will be easier.)

Alison McMillan
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Junior Registered User

Thank you so very much for all of your wisdom.

I did purchase a double horn. I got a Conn 8DR. I am still getting used to the different fingerings on the B flat side, but they are coming to me fast. I am amazed at the sound. It sounds like a horn from a movie orchestra. Plus, I can reach those higher notes soooooooooooo much easier on the B flat side.

I chose rose brass on the recommendation of a horn master, who said it sounds richer and not brassy or brittle. It does....it is AWESOME! Too bad it is such a soft metal. I put a ding in the bell after having it in my possession for about an hour. Shame on me!

I am currently working on "The Sound of Music" with piano accompaniment, and just transposed "The Music of the Night" for horn. (I think I am stuck in a movie myself....LOL)

I will explore the solos and duets you recommended. Mozart is my hero, so anything by him will be lovely to me.

Thank you again!

Rebecca
Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Junior Registered User

Big congratz on your double horn!

A recommentation is Shostakovitch’ 1st cello concerto, where the whole brass section consists of one horn! (otherwize, it’s double woodwinds and strings). The first movement has a passage towards the end that is for the solo cello and the horn only, and it sounds like a full orchestra!

No kidding: Two instruments giving the width and depth of an entire orchestra…

The horn is cool, and don’t be afraid to play it loud if your embochure can deal with it

Most horn players never play loud enough…

Regards
Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 AM
Junior Registered User

Second think is volume of advanced solos with piano accompaniment features Dale Cleverness of the Cleveland Symphony playing each of these solos on French horn. Then you take his place with the professional accompanist.The song would either be for our first dance or the father/daughter dance. Any beautiful songs ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Horn solo suggestions?

Better play the music that you really like.