Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Juilliard?

hey everybody, i was wondering if any of you had some kind of idea of what level a person needs to play at in order to get into juilliard graduate (not undergrad), and if im on the right track? im 14 years old and will be 15 in may of this year and i have been taking violin for about 5 years and 1 month, have played mendellsohns concerto, zigeunerweisen (gypsies) , and im currently working on introduction and tarantelle by pablo sarasate, and i am also starting tchaikovskys concerto for violin in d major. i have kreutzers book of etudes and am currently playing #35. i also have hrimilays scale studies and have done most of the 3 octave scales. i have a very nice violin and bow and can practice anywhere from 1-3 hours a day. my teacher is very talented and has had 1 (or maybe more?) students audition for juilliard but none of them have suceeded, please any suggestions on how hard i would have to work to get into juilliard? if possible?

paul
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
CEO

Hello Paul.

Well, actually I am don't know how Julliard School examinations work, so I can't help you very much. I would suggest you to contact Julliard School directly or visit their website:

http://www.juilliard.edu/

to know more. I am sure they can give you the right information you are looking for!

Thank you again and my best wishes for your goals.

Sincerely,,
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Oh wow, Juilliard is an EXTREMELY hard school to get into. Especially for musicians. I'm looking to go to Juilliard, hopefully as a graduate and an undergrad, and I'm a flute player. I probly won't make it, simply since I wasn't introduced to a decent teacher until this year. But as far as how hard you have to work, 1-3 hours may not be enough. I dunno what the violin requirements are, so definitely look at the requirements on the Juilliard site. Make sure you get as early of a start as you can on the audition peices though, you'll need it. People who go there are prodigies...or they're just really lucky. If you need any more info, you can email me. I know a LOT about Juilliard. Thanks!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Junior Registered User

Wow, I could never dream of getting into school there, good luck!!!