Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Composers > other composers...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007
Default Does Anyone Else Out There Compose

I was just wondering if anyone else on VSM composed and I know that Mr. Ferrari is a composer. If you do then just describe what you compose (Ins., Genre, etc.). Composing has gotten me through many times that were very difficult in my life (they won't be that big of deals when I'm older, but since I'm only 16 they do have a large impact on my life). Also if anyone is a lyricist I would enjoy doing some collaborations on pieces, because my lyrics are just bad.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Expert Registered User

I like to compose a lot. I mostly compose classical and baroque style music. (Partly because I haven't gotten to later music styles in my composition/music theory book .) One of my favorite styles of pieces in particular is the fugue.

I usually only compose stuff that I can play so I'm often limited to melodies since I play the flute, but I plan to fix that by composing some simple pieces for guitar and piano to build my skill with.

It'd be cool to collaborate on a piece with another composer, but I'm really bad at lyrics because I never compose any vocal music. (Partly because I can't sing .)
Old 07-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Yeha I compose for all kinds of instruments and styles, you want it I can compose it, I don't always follow said definitions of different styles so I may mix genres or say an instrumental aria with a minuet.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

I'm actually in the middle of creating a musical and finally got around to the music. It sounds awesome so far!! But that sounds pretty fun...although my lyrics are pretty bad too, so I couldn't really help with lyrics, but I'm really good for my age with the instrumental part of composition.

I really don't have a certain type of music I compose...it probably leans more toward a contemporary side. But most everything I write is in a minor key. (I've taken a liking to Bm and Em lately)
Old 07-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Zealot Registered User

It's too bad they take so long to wirte though
Old 07-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Yeah. If only there was a way to speed up the process...
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Zealot Registered User

Yeah but then we wouldn't have as long to think about them. I always think of something else to add in or someway to make it better, it's and obsession to always make whatever I write better, but of course when I have deadlines for my music I normally beat them by at least a week. Excaept for the last competitino I entered I sent it out on the last possible day I could when I wrote it in about 10 minutes the night before, it was done I liked it I went to bed.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Mentor Registered User

competition? wow...I didn't know they had composition contests...*wishes she knew one she could actually enter* heh, I've never had a deadline before either...
Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Zealot Registered User

Yeah just search on google or go to http://www.under.org/cpccopps/index.html they've got some oppurtunities for us composers.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Zealot Registered User

Umm... Let's see you gotta know:

~The basics of whatever instrument you are composing for...
~The Ranges of whatever instruments you are composing for...
~The playability of what you write is always important to watch...
~The progression of different chords... (Mostly accompianment on Vo. songs)
~There is also some theory, here are links to some sites with that
(I use these the ranges some of the time, the virginia tech one a lot)

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/
http://www.hut.fi/~tbackstr/ranges/ranges.html

(I've never used these so I don't know what you're gonna get)

http://www.societymusictheory.org/mto/
http://library.thinkquest.org/15413/theory/theory.htm
http://www.mibac.com/ml2/TR2/frame-Theory.html
http://www.chordwizard.com/theory.html

Hopefully this helps, umm... so anyone else want to help me explain then go right on and do it (I know that I basically started 'cause something sounded cool, and then I took a class on it in school freshman year and I loved it, so I kept composing).

Anyway TVL just start by composing for your own instrument until everything starts making more sense, and it may help a bit.