Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Sheet Music Suggestions
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Zealot Registered User

What do you guys use to play General MIDI on your PCs? I'm just using the built-in MS software syntehsizer, and the trumpet sound is pretty poor (as is the violin). In fact, I think the piano is about the only sound that is passable. I have an inexpensive keyboard with a MIDI interface, however, the instrument sounds aren't really any better on that one (in fact, my keyboard is a Roland, and I think they are the same sounds).

I know some people use Creative Labs cards and download soundfonts, but I was wondering if anyone makes use of other 3rd party software synthesizers that aren't too expensive and have decent sounds.

Anyway, I listened to the piece and tried to imagine what it would sound like with a real trumpet playing the music!! It sounded good. You should record it as an MP3, so we can hear it with real trumpet sound and also human expressivity (versus my finale software just chugging through the notes without any expression).
Old 07-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarycox
What do you guys use to play General MIDI on your PCs? I'm just using the built-in MS software syntehsizer, and the trumpet sound is pretty poor (as is the violin). In fact, I think the piano is about the only sound that is passable. I have an inexpensive keyboard with a MIDI interface, however, the instrument sounds aren't really any better on that one (in fact, my keyboard is a Roland, and I think they are the same sounds).

I know some people use Creative Labs cards and download soundfonts, but I was wondering if anyone makes use of other 3rd party software synthesizers that aren't too expensive and have decent sounds.

Anyway, I listened to the piece and tried to imagine what it would sound like with a real trumpet playing the music!! It sounded good. You should record it as an MP3, so we can hear it with real trumpet sound and also human expressivity (versus my finale software just chugging through the notes without any expression).

For now the only midi's that I hear have some program to play them that was already on my computer... (gotta love the monopoly windows has). Anyway I currently don't have a mike to record the pieces into mp3 format, by the way which piece were you listening to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio - VSM
Ok, perfect. Yes, I would suggest you to vary the theme a little more because often it is repetitive, maybe by modulating in a different key. Just my idea... anyway the theme is good and can be well developed.

Thank you and as for all of the pieces that I put up here they are all workable, because no one (except me) has an exact set sound that the pieces are.

Update- I should have 'Cirque A Due Trombe' done by the end of July, I really thank all of you for the comments that you post here, I do look at all of them and go back to each piece with the suggestions that I have recieved, and seriously use/consider all of them.

Thank You,
Old 07-17-2005, 10:20 PM
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAACMPSR2007
Thank you and as for all of the pieces that I put up here they are all workable, because no one (except me) has an exact set sound that the pieces are.

Update- I should have 'Cirque A Due Trombe' done by the end of July, I really thank all of you for the comments that you post here, I do look at all of them and go back to each piece with the suggestions that I have recieved, and seriously use/consider all of them.

Thank You,

You are very welcome! I look forward for the definitive version.

One more note about the title (if you want to have a perfect Italian title): If by using "Cirque" you mean "Circus", in Italian it's "Circo". "Cirque" is French (I guess...).

Best,
Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Did my attachment ever go through? I can't tell. If it didn't, it'll be a while before I can actually attach it. (Band camp starts soon!!!!!!!)
Old 07-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio - VSM
You are very welcome! I look forward for the definitive version.

One more note about the title (if you want to have a perfect Italian title): If by using "Cirque" you mean "Circus", in Italian it's "Circo". "Cirque" is French (I guess...).

Best,

Okay thanks, I guess when I try to write my titles in Italian I'll ask you if their right... It's so nice knowing that someone is there to correct em when I mess up a language.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:54 PM
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAACMPSR2007
Okay thanks, I guess when I try to write my titles in Italian I'll ask you if their right... It's so nice knowing that someone is there to correct em when I mess up a language.

You're very welcome

Best,
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Zealot Registered User

Hey piccologurl some of the soprano notes seem really high, umm I don't know if you know someone who can sing those, I might I' hust don't ask most peoples ranges, ummm... it sounded real good and the driving bass line added to the piece.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Yeah. A lot of the soprano notes are high... but I didn't go beyond what I've heard before. (I can hit up to the high C myself) Yeah, in Phantom of the Opera (the movie...I'm not sure about the Broadway version), Christine hits a high E at the end of the actual song, 'Phantom of the Opera'.
Anyways...is there anything I should add or change? And is it good enough to enter into a composition contest?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Zealot Registered User

I'd give it a shot, I mean what have you got to lose, right. There were things, I might change, but I reallly couldn't pick them out, some of the rhythms cut up the phrase and make it hard to understand what is meant by the vocalist... umm other than that I don't hear see anything else
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Mentor Registered User

k. Thanks. I just finished a rough draft of the trio I'm making out of it... There's a few places where the violin goes a little too high to fill the chord, so I have to fix them. I'm gonna have to email them to you though, cuz I don't think it's letting me attach .mus files.