Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > other instruments...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee
Default The Naming of Instruments...

I know someone else here has to do it, so why not ask? Does anyone else here name their instruments/give them personalities/love them like their own children? I want to know their names!! here's mine (in the order I recieved them)

Leighah: My beloved first flute...I got her in 6th grade and loved her to death...she's a very loyal flute and is currently helping out my grandmaw

My 9-11: I never even had time to name him. He was a beautiful Jupiter DiMedici 9-11, with a solid silver headjoint, open hole keys, an offset G, French arms, a B-Foot, and even a gizmo key. Then someone sat on him and killed him. I still have one of the stoppers that I used to fill in his keys. *sniffs*

Francesca Lee: My beautiful Jupiter DiMedici 10-11, with a silver headjoint and body. She also has all the features my 9-11 had, and she sounds wonderful. She's gotten me into great bands and even got me first chair my freshman year of HS. She's the bestest flute a girl could ever have. (Until I get my Nagahara flute...then she'll be my marching flute)

Yahoo: First piccolo...he was a great piccolo...he was the piccolo I learned to march on...*sighs* good piccolo...

Isabelle: My current piccolo...I just finished marching with her and playing with her in our school's top band, which recieved straight ones at concert festival. She's an excellent piccolo (A Jupiter, obviously) and she has a plastic body and head, which calls for a warm sound and excellent intonation in MB.

Austin: My poor sax who still hasn't been fixed...I love him, I really do!!

My trumpet which really isn't mine: I'm currently borrowing him (I guess he's a guy...) from a friend's grandmother and I hope to eventually name him and love him like all my other instruments. Any suggestions on a good name?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Just don't name the trumpet Louis, Dizzy, or Al (all famous jazz trumpeteers).

I call my violins - Violin I, Violin II

My Trumpet - Blue (It's painted blue don't ask)

Cornet - (he's too cool to have a name)

Pocket Trumpet - (Too small to have a name)

Clairnet - Clairnet

As creative as I am I don't think naming inanimate objects is that normal... but hey you go ahead and keep naming them, I mean they are yours.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

lol, great names. Heh, naming instruments is big in our band. Well, to all the band nerds, at least...
Old 07-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

I know there are other people in my band who name their instruments, but I can't remember what they call them.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Mentor Registered User

lol. How many people in your band name their instruments? Heh, I think like half of ours names them. (We have about a 100 or so member band, so yeah...we're nothing but a ton of nerds) I would name the other instruments' names I know, but there's so many, it would never end.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Zealot Registered User

Probably 2, even though we are the biggest bunch of band nerds I've ever met, we don't want to seem to wierd to the high school next door, (it's full of stereotyping idiots, not all of them are that way though... so that wasn't a stereotype).
Old 07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Mentor Registered User

lol, I don't think any of the people in my band care about the rest of my school, or we wouldn't even be in band, so yeah... lol, I think all schools have a lot of stereotyping idiots.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Zealot Registered User

It's actually people from a completely different school, but we share choir teachers and a cafeteria, and soon we might have to share band directors too that makes me sad, that would take away so much from the music program at my school because, our director would have to be there every day, prob. in the afternoon, which would cut into the 7 (I think) classes she teaches at our school 4 one day, three the other (I love block scheduling). Both schools pretty much hate each other, almost every day onetheir idiots can't stop their hormones long enough for the little people that go to my school, to get their lunch, its a disgusting pile of sexual urges, idiots, and year-old cafeteria food.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Mentor Registered User

Wow. That's horrible!! Well hopefully the district will be smart enough to get rid of that idea. If not, good luck. That really has to suck, sharing a chorus director and cafeteria with a rival. Especially with the way you explain it as being.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
Zealot Registered User

Its not the districts idea to share BD's, and besides there is no way that we are rivals, except possibly who can get the most druggies into their school, but thats definitely theirs, our school really needs to start people focusing again, when it was only 100 kids it was a really focused school, but now that we have 250 there are people who don't do anything, I mean whats the point of going to an arts school if you're not going to practice one of the arts... duh, I mean even martial arts ,but they don't take that they take regular PE at MHS. MCAA is so much better I'd die if I had to go to MHS.