Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Support and Feedback > Feedback and Comments
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 11-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Junior Registered User

Default That was amusing!

I'm a trumpet player. I picked up an Eb alto/tenor horn really cheap, and have been playing around with it. Someone told me I could play trombone music on it if I read it as though it were treble clef, go up three 5ths on the key signature, and read it an octave lower than written.

Being in a hurry, I did not bother to print the trumpet parts from the brass quartet arrangements I downloaded, but instead, I tried to play the trombone part from these arrangements along with a trumpet playing the trumpet part from a duet arrangement of the same Christmas collection.

I spent an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, with a Centerpitch CP-2 tuner on my horn making sure I was playing the right notes, and my ear kept telling me there was something grossly wrong with this situation. I thought maybe the guy who suggested how I could read trombone music was off in his formula somehow.

Then I did some mental math and figured out that a trombone part in F does not equal a trumpet part in Bb.

The duet arrangement parts are all in different keys from the quartet arrangements.

DOH!!!!

I'll have to try this again now that I've printed the trumpet parts from the quartet arrangement. Since I don't see any trombone/trumpet duets available off hand. Not within the Christmas domain anyway, and probably not within the spectrum of music I can actually play anyway. Most of the stuff I've downloaded from here I've printed just to aspire to one of these decades.

There's no harm in dreaming and aspiring though. One of these days I'll play Moto Perpetuo. It might take me 50 years to get that good though, at this rate.

Last edited by silvan1 : 11-22-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:40 AM
CEO

Hello Silvan and thank you for your feedback.

Are you saying that your new trombone is in F like the horn in F? That's actually pretty interesting... please, let me know if I have correctly understood, of course we can consider to do something for you.

Please, tell me more.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio - VSM
Are you saying that your new trombone is in F like the horn in F?
No, it's in Eb. Like one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alto_horn

The guy told me "One nice thing about an Eb horn is that you can read trombone parts with it. Take a trombone part written in bass clef, but read it as though it were treble clef, and change to the key signature with three more sharps...."

That's what I was trying to do, and it may well have worked if I had been reading a part in the same key as the other part.

(Though all the tenor (?) clef bits in the trombone parts are not at all helpful to a trumpet player trying to play trombone parts on an Eb alto horn. )
Quote:
we can consider to do something for you.
I'm not asking you to, owing to the unusual nature of this instrument. It's apparently not much used outside British-style brass bands.

I'll take a stab at anything you can be bothered to transpose though. Most particularly Bb trumpet/Eb horn duets.

In any case, I was mostly sharing my amusement at the realization that the duet and quartet arrangements are in different keys. If I had noticed that rather obvious fact sooner, it would have spared me a great deal of confusion, and ugly, dissonant sounds.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
CEO

I understand perfectly, I am sorry, I misunderstood your words.

Of course, we can consider to publish something for trumpet in Bb and Horn in Eb. Would you be interested in a collection of Christmas Carols? Just wondering...

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio - VSM
Of course, we can consider to publish something for trumpet in Bb and Horn in Eb. Would you be interested in a collection of Christmas Carols? Just wondering...
I certainly would indeed, and would be delighted to have such an arrangement available.

However, you can't possibly address all of my transposition/rearranging needs for the low price of an annual membership!

Last edited by silvan1 : 11-22-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:01 PM
CEO

Silvan, we'll do our best to prepare a such arrangement for you in the coming weeks. Don't worry!

Remember: any your idea/request is always very welcome and we'll take it into consideration very seriously.

Thank you for your kindness and interest!

Sincerely,