Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Clarinet
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Junior Registered User

Default "easy" audition pieces?

Ok here's is the pathetic situation I am in:

-first audition (westchester) is on Jan 30
-This is my "safety school"
-I have put off finding a piece for a while now
-I will have three more auditions in late feb/early march
-I probably should find a relatively easy piece
Any suggestions?

If this helps, I played "Gavotte and Minuet" by John Stanley for my diocesian audition and got 5th chair out of 10. Last year I got 4th chair playing Gavotte out of "solos for the clarinet palyer."

Is there hope for me?

also-what grade is acceptable for a college audition?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Re: "easy" audition pieces

Obviously, what is easy will depend on how advanced you are now.

Universities make decisions about entrance into their program based on the potential of the student and the number of positions available. If two players of equal potential audition, but only one can be accepted, they will first offer admission to the more advanced player. As a general rule though, most universities expect a student to be auditioning at what is generally called a grade VIII conservatory level.

A good example piece which is not technically difficult, but is musically challenging is Robert Schumman's Fantasy Piece No. 1.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMc
Obviously, what is easy will depend on how advanced you are now.

Universities make decisions about entrance into their program based on the potential of the student and the number of positions available. If two players of equal potential audition, but only one can be accepted, they will first offer admission to the more advanced player. As a general rule though, most universities expect a student to be auditioning at what is generally called a grade VIII conservatory level.

A good example piece which is not technically difficult, but is musically challenging is Robert Schumman's Fantasy Piece No. 1.

thanks for the advise, but i already auditioned sucessfully at moravian college. I played rose #2 and 11 from 32 etudes.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Junior Registered User

Sorry I was a little late coming, but I'm glad you got in.