Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Zealot Registered User

Default Good books/online courses for music composition?

I've bought a few classes from the Teaching Company, and I've really enjoyed this one:

http://www.teach12.com/store/course...and+Great+Music

But, I was curious if anyone knows of something in a similar format for music composition? I don't have time to go to actual classes, but I thought it might be interesting to get some introductory composition knowledge.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

I know there are a couple of books by Stewart Macpherson, the one that I've read the most of is "Form in Music" he has written many other books one is on counterpoint an dI don't remember the other one that I've seen.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Well as for composition, (don't laugh) The Idiot's guide to Music Theory tells you everything you need to know. But if you have a notation system, composition is really easy if you know an instrument's range and what notes sound good when you play it back. If you go to Finale, they have free software you can download and experiment with.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Look on amazon.com for the Stewart Macpherson stuff, altough its really old it is really helpful.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 AM
Zealot Registered User

Yeah, I have the cheap version of Finale (the one that will at least open MIDI files and such). That's what got my curious. I was sort of noodling around with a couple of tunes, basically trying to put something together to play as a warm up tune on my violin.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:33 AM
Zealot Registered User

One other thing, here is a link to a online music dictionary, that I find myself almost continually using http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/ and another for ranges http://users.tkk.fi/~tbackstr/ranges/ranges.html

hope this helps
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

There's an online music dictionary? *saves it to favorites* I wonder how many of them I don't already know?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 AM
Zealot Registered User

Thanks for that... I'll check those books and the sites out.

I think going through this music history audio class has also got me interested in composition as well. It's really amazing to step through each period in history and the musical development that occurred.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Mentor Registered User

I love reading about music history. It's so amazing, how many of them went insane
Old 07-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Zealot Registered User

It is really fun to read about music history, and I even like reading about theory, but I think that makes me completely wierd.