Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Violin
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Junior Registered User

Send a message via AIM to phoebe1
Post wieniawski violin concerto no. 2

just started working on this peice, and i absolutley love it! but... im horrible at up bow staccatto... my teacher said i should ask how other people learned it because it always "just came naturally" to her.... grr. anyone have any tips?

also... what is your favorite recording of this? i had a recording of joshua bell, but i cant find it... before i go out and buy another one i figured id ask around.

(and hi, im phoebe and this is my second post! i love this site except for its lack of shostakovich, but alas, copyright laws... i have played violin for a long time, and im going to cleveland next year to study violin performance and physics and/or engineering. nice to meet you!)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 AM
CEO

Hello and thank you for your posting.

Well, I have been a professional violinist for several years and I would agree with your teacher: the right "staccato" comes out suddenly by trying to reach it tenaciously. Some tip to study it:

1. Play those passages by repeating any single note twice by starting from slow (let's say 60 per quarter) to fast (let's say 120 per quarter or so).

2. Play those passages like if there were rests right after any note, always from slow to fast.

3. Play those passages with the first 3rd of the bow, then with the second 3rd of the bow and finally with the third 3rd of the bow.

4. Play those passages by playing any single note up bow and then down bow.

I think that would help and after a while you will have a strong bow control for the staccato.

About recordings, I would suggest you the new one performed by Gil Shaham, he plays it very well!

My best wishes,