Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Flute
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 04-05-2007, 05:12 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Questions on the Techniques Ian Anderson uses

I've been playing flute for five years now, and I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. I've got a clean, crisp sound and am able to infuse "emotion" into a piece, but I'm also a big fan of music by the rock band Jethro Tull.

The tones and techniques that Ian Anderson uses to make his sound are eluding me. I am a huge fan of his "dirty" sound quality, and I've been trying and trying and trying to produce the same sound on my own instrument. I think what I need is someone to at least point me in the right direction, so I know where to begin. The only thing I have been able to really do is flutter tongue, which I don't find all that difficult.

I need any help I can get, so I will politely ask anyone reading to bear with me as I use my limited knowledge of terminology to describe some of the things he does and ask questions.

1. "Growling" is a term I've heard. I know a little about it. I'm thinking it's a noise made in the back of the throat, mixing voice with instrumental sound? Can anyone describe to me how this is done?

2. There is an airy, rough quality to the way Anderson plays. It's almost...earthy in a way. It sounds less smooth than what I normally play and hear, being in a high school marching band, and I've been attempting to emulate this tone myself. However, it's like there's a missing piece of information in my brain that's not allowing it to click. Does anyone else know how to produce this sound? How is it done?

3. At some points in Anderson's music, his notes have almost a doubled quality, like two notes being played on top of each other, but it's harmonic. Can anyone explain what that is and how it's done?

For now that's all I can think of to ask, and if anyone can think of something I've left out, please let me know. I hope that I can get a step in the right direction and work on creating my own style from the techniques Anderson uses.

--SteelMonkey
Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Hi! I've been playing for almost 6 years, and I've experimented with different sounds you can make on a flute, but I've never heard Anderson or really gotten involved in learning any of his techniques. However, singing as you play DOES create a growling type of effect. It feels weird at first, but it's not that hard of a thing to learn. Just make sure you're EXTREMELY open in both your teeth and throat, and it shouldn't be too hard of a feat. As far as playing two notes at once, this is created by 'splitting' your airstream. It's really hard at first, and even a long time after that. But an excellent note to begin trying this on is your D 2 1/2 ledger lines above the staff. Start by playing it, then playing the lower harmonic at different times just to hear the pitches. Then play the lower harmonic and gradually bring your airstream upward until you hear a second note. Be careful with this though, because it's incredibly hard to keep your air on the line between lower harmonic and note so that both come out. It takes a LOT of practice! I'm not sure what kind of sound he has, so I can't help you here. Sorry. I hope I'm of some help to you, and good luck!
Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Expert Registered User

When i was taught how to growl by my sax teacher he told me to practice humming and whistling at the same time because if you can do that then you should be able to do it on your instrument. I find growling on flute and sax is somthing that i have to not think about to much otherwise i can't do it.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Junior Registered User

Talking

HI i have just looged on after a long time of not looking at the forums i love ian anderson and have just talked a local band into the fact they need flute on doors tracks american pie that sort of stuff i really need to learn how to make quirky differerent sounds any advice i am just impro ing over there tracks at the moment and playing percussion for them till i work out cool flute parts

flute monkey soonto be rock monkey