Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Violin
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 05-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Buying My First Violin

Hey! I'm extremely interested in learning how to play the violin (I have no experience playing whatsoever), and so I've been looking around for a variety of different types of violins for a while now. I'm 15 years-old, and so I know I'm a full size. The problem, though, is that I'm not sure exactly what kind of violin I should start with.

The first place I went, Sam Ash, said that it would probably be smartest for me to buy a decent student-based violin for about $500. The violin itself is an ARS Music model 026, Maple front and back (two-piece), and it comes with the bow and case. It's brand new, has four fine-tuners, and is overall a very nice-looking violin.

I've been to a number of stores since then, however, and I've been hearing various different things. from numerous people. For one, I've been told that as a beginner, I should start with a basic violin in the mere $150 price range. It'll take me time to learn how to use it, they say, and that once my ear thoroughly develops I should trade in the cheaper one and buy the more expensive, higher quality ones - ones similar to the $500 violin I had first looked at.

If I was to buy one for $150, use it for a year, and then trade it in to buy the $500 ones, I would actually be losing money compared to starting off with the better one. If I want to go for a /different/ one all together, though, maybe I would benefit from that? I don't think I would have to worry about paying $500 and then casting the entire violin aside... I'm very enthusiastic about the whole idea and I'm sure I won't just let it pass after a few months.

What really surprised me, though, was the fact that the $150 one didn't seem to be as bad in quality as I would have expected. It was a Spruce and Maple combination, complete with bow and case. It was Chinese, though, whereas the $500 was German, though the salesperson said that today, as opposed to 5 years ago, China can compete with any other country in the world when it comes to producing violins. Everyone else stuck by the belief that Germany is the top of the line and China's not nearly as great.

So, I'm not exactly sure which to go with. There's the great looking one for $500, but the one for $150 doesn't seem all that bad either. If they're equal in quality, I'll obviously go for the cheaper one. Regardless, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I should do.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 AM
CEO

Hello and than you for your post.

I am a violinist too, and I would suggest you to buy the cheaper one. Here is my explanation:

1. I don't think there is very much difference between a violin of $150 and one of $500. The real difference is between a violin of $500 and one, real human made violin starting from $4,000 and up (with the separate hand made bow from $1,000 and up).

2. About China, yes, I would agree that as today Chinese violins are better than in the past and could be compared with the "better" German ones.

3. If you decide in the future to study it professionally, probably you will buy a "real" violin, hand made (and, trust me, you can listen to the difference with the fabric made ones). Otherwise you will have always the option to buy a better one for around $500.

I definitively think that $150 is enough to start practising. This is my thought!

Good work.

Sincerely,
Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Mentor Registered User

Hello!!!

I'm 15 too. I'm a Female. I play viola, viola, and a little bit of flute. I have played since I was three. So if you have any quesiton go for it!

I just bought a viola and also a violin from China and I LOVE them!

I see what you are saying about the money aspect. Umm, If I where you, I would buy on the more expencieve side, because quality (excuse my spelling I am so bad a spelling!) and If you consitter going to college w it then I would buy better than worse.

Congratulations on thinking of trying than maybe even buying a violin!

You are a good writer!

Thanks,
TeenViolaLover

PS If you have any question please ask!!!!!! And may I ask when your bday is cuz we are the same age we maybe can be buddies!!

I'm Oct!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Junior Registered User

Default Thanks!

Hey!

Wow, thanks a /lot/ for your replies! Fabrizio, what you said makes a lot of sense... I'm sure the two violins don't have any drastic differences or anything, and as a beginner, I wouldn't even notice all the subtle changes. At the moment, I'm almost positive that I'll be going for the $150 one. It had a nice antique furnishing, and I really felt like I could "get to know it" when I saw it XD

Anyway, ViolaLover, I'll probably end up buying a slightly more expensive one a few years later. It probably wouldn't hurt just buying the beginner's one now and getting acquainted with the instrument before spending any more money.

As for the writing - thanks! I love to write, though hopefully the violin can be an even bigger hobby. And my birthday's June 20th - one month from tomorrow! Heh.

Thanks a ton,
Aspiring_Violinist
Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 PM
CEO

Aspiring_Violinist,
you are very welcome! Let us know about your learning experience... we'll be glad to hear from you.

My best wishes for your violin learning and for your coming birthday!

Sincerely,

Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Expert Registered User

Hi! I am a new forum member (but quite an old visitor of the site) . I am 17, male and Greek (that's why my name may sound greek to you ). I play violin and piano. Can I take part in the conversation? I guess this means yes. I think that for a start it would not be a bad idea to buy a cheap, machine-made violin. But as you become a more experienced player, you will surely have to buy a better, handmade one. The difference is huge. On the other hand, imagine that you give 8000$ for a good fiddle and then you find out that you don't like playing violin at all! Dreadful! So you 'd better start with a cheap one. And playing will allow you to start understanding how good a violin is from the sound it creates. Hope I helped you!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Mentor Registered User

Hey,

Sure you can join in! I am 15 Female!

Plays the viola, violin etc.

More Later got to go Practice!

teenViolaLover
Old 05-25-2005, 03:38 AM
CEO

Welcome to the forums Miltiadis IV. I guessed you were from Greece... very beautiful country, I visited it in the past. The sea is incredible...

Thank you again!

Sincerely,
Old 05-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Expert Registered User

I really understand what you are talking about...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santorini.jpg (20.4 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg milos.jpg (38.4 KB, 565 views)
Old 05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Mentor Registered User

Breath-takenly Stunning!!!

Wow!

TeenViolaLover