Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Sheet Music Suggestions
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Junior Registered User

Default Lets Get Some Jazz Sheets on Here !!!!!!

I went through almost the entire trumpet catalog find NO Jazz pieces ..... SHOCKING !!!

Its a Trumpet how can you NOT have Jazz pieces in the section......

Can we please try and get some Jazz pieces flowing into the virtualsheetmusic please....

I could think of a lot of Brass musicians who even if they haven't played Jazz before would like to try.... After all to have brass/woodwind sheet music sections and no Glen Miller almost insults the man.

Lets see what we can do please .......

Millan.

(Lvl 8, Trumpet)
Old 05-23-2005, 07:34 PM
CEO

Dear Millan,
thank you for your post.

I am very sorry, but actually Virtual Sheet Music publishes only classical music. We'd like to be able to publish even the great Jazz, but at the moment we have restrictions on our productions. Maybe in the future we'll work on Jazz too!

Thank you again for your interest and for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Old 12-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Mentor Registered User

Agrees w/ the Maestro!!! VSM = Classical!!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:51 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
Agrees w/ the Maestro!!! VSM = Classical!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. The world is awash with jazz charts, not exactly hard stuff to find. Let's stick with music that has CLASS ! CLASS-ICAL Music!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

To YKB and suetuba: wow...do ya'll not like jazz??? If you get into the harder pieces (like, transcribed improv stuff), it's actually a LOT of fun to play... I say this, being a flute player that has always stuck to classical music, too. It's a really good idea to get out there and play other genres...

I really don't think VSM should stick directly to classical...it's always fun to get out there and see what else you can find to play. Why not here, too?? I understand that there ARE restrictions, but if it can be worked past, why not bring jazz into the world of VSM? It'd be a great way of broadening instrumentalists' horizons!

Just a different perspective...

To Millan: I totally agree with you. Jazz is an excellent genre of music for trumpets, especially...it gives you guys a chance to show off and play stuff other than the stuff you're always stuck with in classical music. HAve you looked at any other sites for some Jazz music? I'm sure you can find some great stuff on some other sites.

To Mr. Fabs: Thanks for at least putting this into perspective...it's really great to get out there and play something other than the strict form of classical music. If you CAN find a way to get Jazz on here, please look into some Jazz flute!!!

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Mentor Registered User

VSM is classical because it's public domain.
If there were a lot of public domain jazz music available then things would probably be different.
I like jazz because of improvisation.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suetuba
I couldn't agree more. The world is awash with jazz charts, not exactly hard stuff to find. Let's stick with music that has CLASS ! CLASS-ICAL Music!
I agree!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Born
I agree!!!!

At least someone agrees with rational thinking.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
At least someone agrees with rational thinking.
thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Expert Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
To YKB and suetuba: wow...do ya'll not like jazz??? If you get into the harder pieces (like, transcribed improv stuff), it's actually a LOT of fun to play... I say this, being a flute player that has always stuck to classical music, too. It's a really good idea to get out there and play other genres...

I really don't think VSM should stick directly to classical...it's always fun to get out there and see what else you can find to play. Why not here, too?? I understand that there ARE restrictions, but if it can be worked past, why not bring jazz into the world of VSM? It'd be a great way of broadening instrumentalists' horizons!

Just a different perspective...

Thanks!

Au contraire, I play a lot of jazz, and quite like it too. I've certainly earned good money playing jazz. But there's an intellectual rigour and discipline in classical music that I find lacking in jazz, purely on a personal level.
And the classical music that is available through VSM has already been sifted by time; meaning that the dross is long lost and only the good stuff remains (even Beethoven wrote clunkers!). Both classical music and jazz have good stuff as well as rubbish; jazz is too new to have undergone that filtering process.
As a performer I get more satisfaction mastering something classical: maybe it's the requirement for utter perfection; maybe it's the need for fidelity in interpreting printed symbols into sounds, on behalf of the (mostly) absent composer.
It's not that I don't play 'the harder stuff'. I used to make transcriptions regularly. But to me jazz seems a temporary art, ( and I don't mean that in any negative sense, temporary in the same way Tibetan sand mandalas are). Really good improvisation is meant to be of the moment, and, apart from study purposes, I 'm not sure that it's a good thing to be writing improv down, and fossilizing it.
Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes here! I 'm quite partial to jazz, but have a strong preference as a performer for classical! And I adore debate, so let's go for it!