Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Tuba
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Yeah, people randomly playing the bagpipe sound dreadful. I guess becuase it is a quite difficult instrument to play. Probably if you listen to a bad performance of bagpipes, then you feel sick. But if you listen a bad performance on an organ, THEN, you will actually throw up.
In Italy, bagpipers use to come every Christmas to play some Christmas Carols. We have always invited them,...and they sound very nice. Do you scottish loons have the tradition to play bagpipes at Xmas?
By the way, what brassy instrument has the "warmest" sound? I mean a sound fit for "christmasy times"? The french horn maybe?...wait is the horn a brassy ?
Ciao (bye) Abeerden Loon!

Strictly speakin it is a brass instrument as it is made of brass and the sound is produced by the vibration of the lips. The warmest sound would probably come from a flugel horn. I bought music for my junior band which features auld lang syne and the last post (as played on armistice(sp?) day). it starts with auld lang syne played in a minor key on the flugel. Every time I hear it, it sends shivers down my back. At the same pitch as a cornet or trumpet, the flugel played well has a broad, mellow tone, without the harshness that you get from a trumpet or the brightness of a cornet: a truly beautiful instrument!. If only my lips would let me play a brass instrument that high!.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Registered User

Question

Flugel horn? I never heard about it, but if it really has the same pitch of a cornet, without it's "brightness", and lax of the blasting of the trumpet, then WOAH !!! It must be a wonderful sound! What do you mean "if only my lips would let me play brass"... aren't you the one very passionate about brassy?
Before you mentioned auld lang syne, I give for granted that you know very well "Green Sleeves "( is that how it is spelled? ) This song is almost always related to auld lang syne. If I'm right the author is english and unknown. But what "green sleeves" (that the title mentiones) is the song referring to? Stonehenge?
Thank you Aberdeen, I really appreciate chattin withy ou
C ya,
Sylvia
Old 11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Junior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia
Flugel horn? I never heard about it, but if it really has the same pitch of a cornet, without it's "brightness", and lax of the blasting of the trumpet, then WOAH !!! It must be a wonderful sound! What do you mean "if only my lips would let me play brass"... aren't you the one very passionate about brassy?
Before you mentioned auld lang syne, I give for granted that you know very well "Green Sleeves "( is that how it is spelled? ) This song is almost always related to auld lang syne. If I'm right the author is english and unknown. But what "green sleeves" (that the title mentiones) is the song referring to? Stonehenge?
Thank you Aberdeen, I really appreciate chattin withy ou
C ya,
Sylvia

I know that green sleeves was allegedly written by King Henry Vth. Most brass players only play one instrument or ones of the same size mouthpiece as the embouchure kind of grows into a specific shape from playing and practicing. I meant to say flugel rather than brass. Although I can play any brass instrument from trombone down (with a varying degree of ability!), I find that the size of the mouthpieces above that (Tenor horn - cornet) far to small: I do not make a nice sound (if you can imagine the sound that a cat makes when you stand on it's tail!). No-one should ever be allowed to make a bad sound on a flugel.

The link below shows what a flugel horn looks like

http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/a...ugel_horns.html

ttfn
Andrew
Old 11-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Registered User

Andrew, I understant perfectly what you mean...
Well, congratulations for your multi musical tasks, if you can play so many brass, you are indeed a very (musically ) talented man.
Now I get how a flugel looks like, and I've actually heard it before ( I didn't know the name) and it sounds ...great. I don't really know how to explain myself...it has something majestic. I think you know what I'm talking about. (Is VAT some kind of english tax???)
C ya, and have a great week end!
Sincerely,
Sylvia

Last edited by Sylvia : 11-18-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:49 PM
Junior Registered User

Default About Tuba Price

HI sylvia...
about tuba prices you can find a very good tuba in si bemol or in la at 1000$ here in my country ...and the ephuniums are almost the same...
finnaly i found someone who cares about the tuba,,,
i think maybe coz i'm new to the forums...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Senior Registered User

Hi!!!, and welcome! Well, thankyou for your information about Tubas...where are you from exactly, are you from Europe? I can say you are not american, because then you would've sai B flat, and not Si bemoll, or A instead of La (I'm not used to the alphabetical order, I prefer way better the do re mi fa sol la si do, bemolle,...etc). In what key are tubas usually in?
Thankyou again,
Sylvia
Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 AM
Expert Registered User

tubas cost far more than two thousand dollars! I doubt that two thousand dollars would buy a half decent student model. Students of mine have in the last two months bought tubas second hand: one cost $AUD 7,000, the other only $AUD4,000. Last week a student bought a second hand euphonium for $AUD5,000. In all three cases they got an absolute bargain; but the two tubas are not professional standard instruments, suitable for community band and orchestra work.
As in everything, if you want quality, it costs.
My tubas cost approximately $AUD 20,000 each new.
I don't consider that particularly expensive when you consider the cost of comparable professional instruments, i.e. violins, cellos, oboes, flutes ( the head joint alone of a flute can cost several thousand)
Sure it's a lot of money, but what else is money for but spending!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Mentor Registered User

Welcome!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Expert Registered User

thanks for the welcome! It's nice to find a forum with vigorous, informed and inquisitive discussion!
I don't know if anyone out there in this forum is interested in historic/authentic performance, but that's one of my real passions. Sure, I play tuba in the orchestra, but when possible I like to use the historically more appropriate instrument; i.e. ophicleide, serpent and cimbasso. Any fans of these out there?
Sue
Old 11-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Mentor Registered User

Sounds cool, Sue... Enjoy the Forums!