Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Composers > other composers...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Registered User

Post Liszt vs. Chopin

Franz Liszt was a demoniac genius with a gigantic hand (I suppose he could reach an octave and a half in a hand span) that literally composed rhapsodies. His transcription of Paganini's Campanella for piano is simply amazing. Chopin, more romantic, wrote wonderful concertos and nocturnes famous throughout all the world. In common they have the characteristical diatonic scales of eighteenth notes on keyboard compositions (very very fast slides, and no...they did not do them with their elbow like blues players) that are merely impossible to play. Theirs are the hardest pieces of baroque music existing. If I HAD to choose between the two, I'd probably choose Liszt. By the way, did some pianist here accomplish some of these composer's works?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:19 AM
Junior Registered User

I've never actually played Liszt for piano. I've done some Chopin. However, I've arranged Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by Liszt for Chamber orchestra. I met a piano player at Jazz Band Camp one time that could play a few Liszt songs. Do you compose?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Registered User

Hi alex,
yeah I compose. But I dedicate more time to the learning of new pieces. Hungarian rhapsody number two is beautiful, did you add some percussion?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Junior Registered User

I'm not a very big fan of percussion, however for Hungarian Rhapsody No.2 I wrote parts for Timpani, Glockenspiel, and kept the original piano part. What instruments do you play and what do you compose? I use Coda Finale 2004 so you might be able to see something that I've wrote.
So far I've written:
*An A/B class piano solo
*Jazz Ballad
*I'm writing a G minor Overture for orchestra
*And A slow orchestra piece in C# minor

Alex
Old 10-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Senior Registered User

Arrow

I would like to hear your compositions. I too use Finale and Cakewalk for some particular pieces. (Chamber or mixed ensemble).
I play the piano since I was 5, and I'm quite advanced now. I know the bases of guitar and of other instruments. I don't have that much time to compose, becuase I take AP/IB courses at school, (do you still go to school...how old are you?) but when I have some spare time to dedicate to music I either practice a new piece of my repertoire, sing (soprano, I have a range of more than 2 octaves), or compose. I started composing short sonatas for piano, then progressed by transcribing and transposing, and now I would like to start, in the Christmas break, a string quartet. What do you play? Are you american?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Junior Registered User

Yes, I am an American. I have some family in Germany, but mainly I'm American. I'm only 13 but I can play class A solos for trumpet. I play trumpet, trombone, saxophone, french horn, some piano, and some viola. I guess that I'm not quite sure how to post my compositions, but I know that there's a way. Do you know how? By the way, what are AP/IB courses? I also sing baritone and bass in the chorus at my school.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Registered User

I don't think you are allowed to post your compositions but you can send it as a oersonal file. Do you have a hotmail account? AP stands for Advanced Placement, nad IB for International Baccalaureate. They are courses that take up all your time and that are necessary,here, for a collge application. You take an exam at the end of the course taht will decide on your carreer. Wow, you play a lot of instruments. Do you even buy them all?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Junior Registered User

You can e-mail me at alex05@centurytel.net. How can I put my files on a personal file? I don't own all of the instruments I play (if I did I'd have to be very rich or I'd be broke!), but depending on what my instructor wants me to play in lessons, that's what I play. Usually trumpet or Horn.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Senior Registered User

Send an attachment with the wav file
Old 10-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Junior Registered User

I can e-mail it to you if you give me your e-mail address!