Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Tenor Saxophone
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Junior Registered User

Send a message via AIM to cocotheclarinetist Send a message via MSN to cocotheclarinetist Send a message via Yahoo to cocotheclarinetist
Default Learning Tenor

Okay, so I already play Alto sax, but I play clarinet in band... any Tenor players, that can tell me how much harder playing Tenor is than Alto? My band director wants me to learn it so I can play it in the jazz band at our school, and I think that would be like the coolest thing ever, and I really want to do that. So any comments would be awesome!

~Nicole
Old 12-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Junior Registered User

Default tenor sax

Hi Nicole

Tenor is not much different than alto. the fingering is the same. the mouthpiece is bigger and you will use a looser embouchure. It takes a little more air too.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Junior Registered User

Default tenor s rule

hey how is it goign i play tenor and well i am grade 12 level and i play all the saxes i don't that much diff
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Junior Registered User

whoa... a simple post and so many responses and links. My apologies for not doing the search first, that was stupid of me. Thanks for all the pointers, though!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Expert Registered User

how is it going with the tenor now?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Junior Registered User

Tenor music is written in G clef. The fingerings are the exact same, only the tenor is in Bb. Middle C is still middle C. The scales are the same. The difference is that the tenor along with the soprano and bass sax is in the key of Bb, while the alto also sopranino and baritone are in Eb. This confuses a lot of people. You're playing the same scale, but the notes coming out are different. The key of C on a tenor produces the same notes as the key of G on an alto, so you may need to transpose some music. I play soprano, alto, tenor and baritone. I think tenor is probably the easiest to play. Soprano is definitely the hardest.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Junior Registered User

Well tenor takes more air and you need a little practice to hit the lowest notes, just like a tenor player would need a little practice to hit the high notes of an alto. I like the sounds of tenor better, but that is just me
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Junior Registered User

Default tenor sax

Pick the right mouthpiece for a tenor saxophone by understanding what it does and other parts involved, like baffles, and learn how with tips from our expert tenor sax player.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Junior Registered User

The Tenor Banjo has a shorter neck and higher, sharper sound, great for being heard in a band situation. I recently decided that I would like to learn the tenor banjo, I picked up an old MayBell and fixed it up with a new bridge and strings. I am taking lessons to learn it so that I can play it.