Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Sheet Music Suggestions
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 11-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Music for Double Bass

The VSM collection of music for double bass is sorely deficient. The Dragonetti concerto seems to be the only serious solo piece, and there's little else. How about the Rachmaninoff "Vocalise", etudes by Nanny, Bille and Storch-Hrabe, and a healthy dollop of Bottesini? This is vital stuff, and we bass players (and students) are being left out! ANY arrangements of serious music for double bass and piano and/or double bass and violin would be appreciated.

Even more 'cello stuff would be a step in the right direction. I like your 'cello/violin arrangements and would like to see them expanded.

Thank you for this service.
-Peter
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 AM
CEO

Hello Peter and thank you for your post.

Of course, we'd like to add more music for double-bass. If we have not enough repertoire for it, is due uniquely because we didn't have enough request of double-bass music!

Would you like to have a transcription of the Rachmaninov's Vocalise for double-bass? We could do it for you and we could start right from that.

Any your preference is very welcome. Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Old 11-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Junior Registered User

Default Music for Bass

Hello Fabrizio,

Thank you for your quick response, it was more than I expected! I am impressed. If you are truly prepared to transcribe music for the double bass, then my specific suggestion (and something that I would very much like to have) is Bottesini's Elegy in D. To make the music more versatile (so that any bass player can use it), I would also suggest that it be presented at concert pitch, as opposed to being transcribed for a solo-tuned instrument.

The Rachmaninoff is worthy also, but this would be of greater benefit to me. I would have been more specific if I had expected a direct response: I am newly subscribed, and was somewhat skeptical that I would hear back from you.

Is the Bottesini Elegy an alternative that you would consider? Please let me know at your convenience.

Many thanks,
Peter
Old 11-14-2005, 10:53 PM
CEO

Dear Peter,
you are very welcome.

About Rachmaninov, we'll transcribe it for double-bass and piano almost securely within the next few months.

Of course, we will consider also the Bottesini's Elegy as possible future double-bass addition.

We are very glad to have you as our new Member. As a new Member, remember that we consider any suggested piece as possible future addition but we cannot assure you when they will be actually published. We consider all the suggestions we receive on these forums as well by e-mail and update our "priority" list month by month according to our users' requests and needs. Please, let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you for your interest and kindness!

Have joy.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Junior Registered User

I agree with Peter, there is not enough double-bass music... transcriptions from cello or viola would be great, too.
Y.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Junior Registered User

Default Music for Bass

Hi Fabrizio

I would very much agree that the Bottisini Elegy is a great piece, that is should be presented in orchestral tuning (for bass EADG), for solo tuning (bass tuned F#BEA) and please, also publish it with the part written out in the key in which the solo tuned bass will SOUND. That way I can play it on my bass in FIFTHS tuning CGDA in the higher tessatura of the bass with solo strings with the accompaniment for the bass that uses solo tuning.

David Teague
Double Bass in Fifths Tuning
CGDA
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Junior Registered User

I ended up taking a great forum in Canberra KAY local classifieds $ 1400. Now I am gradually created, has some decent weed wackers the collection of K & K. Now I am just buying a head.