Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Composers > other composers...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee
Default Frank Ticheli

He's more of a contemporary composer...wrote Blueshades (which not many people here would know about), SHENANDOAH!!, and SOOO many other peices. I suggest hearing some of his works...you can go to this site: Ticheli's Music. Definately listen to Blueshades and Shenandoah...but his grade 5 and 6 works are all great peices. There's also a version or two of Simple Gifts in there.

Does anyone ELSE on here like Ticheli's works?? Or at least know who he is??
Old 11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Junior Registered User

I like Ticheli a lot. We play his compositions in band class a lot (I'm a senior in high school, I play euphonium) and last summer, I went to the Interlochen All-state band camp and he rehearsed and conducted us! It was so cool. We played Abracadabra, Cajun Folk Songs 2, Joy Revisited, and another one that I can't think of right now. We also had a question-and-answer thing with him where he told us about his composing process, etc.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

By any chance was it conveniently BlueShades? lol, I'm pretty much obsessed with that piece, but I've never been able to play it. Cajun Folk Dances seems like a decently fun piece. How is it? (Fun to me is technically hard to most people)
Old 11-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Junior Registered User

Actually, we're going to play Blue Shades in the Detroit Symphony orchestra civic wind ensemble for our next concert; i have my part right next to me that i haven't touched lol. I haven't heard it, though. how does it sound? anyway, Cajun Folk Songs II is pretty cool. i like the first movement (Elegy) that he finished right when his father died and the second movement has a nice euphonium solo.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Junior Registered User

Hi i just love Ticheli he always come up with great work and thanks for sharing the link to listen Ticheli's music.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Junior Registered User

Frank Ticheli born January 21, 1958 in Monroe, Louisiana is an American composer of orchestral, choral, chamber, and concert band works. He lives in Los Angeles, California, where he is a Professor of Composition at the University of Southern California.A number of his works are particularly notable, as they have become standards in concert band repertoire.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Junior Registered User

Frank Ticheli is an American composer of orchestral, choral, chamber, and concert band works. He lives in Los Angeles, California, where he is a Professor of Composition at the University of Southern California. A number of his works are particularly notable, as they have become standards in concert band repertoire.