Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > other instruments...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 12-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Mentor Registered User

We're trying.
I can hear it calling. Hijack it!
Must resist urge!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Mentor Registered User

Please Stop and Stay on Topic!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Mentor Registered User

The voices won't leave me alone.

I must resist.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:34 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Okay...I have another one I remembered from MB 2 seasons ago.

We were all standing around stretching in our band circle before pregame as we always do during FB games, so all the b rass had their instruments lying on the ground beside them. WELL...our biggest helper and one of the favorite band parents was backing up the instrument truck, so everyone moved out of the way...well, everyone EXCEPT one of the baritones. The biggest idiot in our band had forgotten his baritone was on the ground when he backed up out of the way, until someone yelled, and grabbed it after Mr. R had rolled over it. The poor thing was crushed...literally, flattened like a pancake, except for the outtermost part of the bell...which was pretty much the only part of the baritone in any kind of condition other than ruined...and what makes it even worse, is that (if I'm recalling correctly) it was one of our NEW baritones we were BORROWING from another school. It was never seen again after that day...
Old 12-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

I just remembered ANOTHER story from this passed marching season...

Well, we were playing at state...and if anyone recalls me talking about it, there was a flute trio in the opener. Since none of us three that played the trio marched flute, we all layed our flutes in their cases around the microphone, so as to avoid them getting stepped on. (Cuz flute stands are FAR too dangerous in grass). So we finished playing the trio, the best we'd played it in a while, and rushed off to join back in with the band 2 sets later. Everyone finally finished marching the show, and there was (annoyingly enough) a very modest, polite clapping throughout the audience. We all knew we hadn't done our 'best,' but it was an extremely good run. So as the rest of the band marched off, me and the other two flute players marched to our cases to hurriedly put up our flutes one last time. Well, the oldest person in the trio (I won't use her name) picked up her flute, and almost screamed in agony at the sight. Her flute had been kicked off its case, and had a completely bent-out-of-place side Bb key (the one to the left of the trill keys), and the headjoint was NOWHERE to be found. And when I say the key was bent completely out of place, I mean, it was VERTICLE to the flute...not lying down neatly on it, the way it should be. There was NO WAY it would fit in her case without being snapped the rest of the way off.

Well, she started sobbing, and I h ad to hold her stuff for her, cuz she was such a wreck at this point (we were finally off the field away from spectators)...she gingerly held her flute and bent her key back in place. And I'm glad to say, she managed to bend it back perfectly. But it wasn't until we were about to leave, that her headjoint was found, scratched up, but still in working order. It was a DISASTER to see her flute the way it was, though. Seriously, it is the most frightening sight EVER, to see a side Bb key, verticle to the flute. And it's really frightening to know that your (or your friend's) headjoint is out on a marching field, probably being stepped on and kicked around. (By the way, it was found by a flute player that thought someone in her band had lost their headjoint...she had just happened to step on it)

And need I also say, we ended up getting 2nd at state this year...up from last year (3rd), but not what we wanted. Ah well. There's...nevermind, we will NEVER have that chance again!!! *sobs*
Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Mentor Registered User

I'm beginning to get the impression that High School bands are very hard on instruments.
I played in a symphony for 12 years never did an instrument get ruined. There were a few broken strings and a few times when the baton would slip from the conductors grip and always hit the principle violist.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Mentor Registered User

Only marching band...concert season isn't as rough on instruments (unless people are careless...then things tend to happen.)
Old 12-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
Only marching band...concert season isn't as rough on instruments (unless people are careless...then things tend to happen.)

Like leaving your instrument on the bed right LT... Anyway I've never had anything happen to my instruments unless they were safe in the case, speaking of I need to get Isabella (or was it Isabelle, I don't know LT named her) fixed, and my other violin I need a new tailpiece somehow while it was sitting in its' case the string on the tailpiece snapped... I don't know how it was in it's hard shell case.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:

The people I know (sadly!) are careless w there instruments (I'm not!)
Old 01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Pihvi

Quote:
Okay, this is the tribute to all instruments you have owned that were broken, or have witnessed that were broken. PLEASE stay on topic in this thread, as it is a memorial to lost instruments. Please give them your respect.

My story:

My beautful Jupiter DiMedici, Series 9-11 flute was almost 9 months old...and we came to love each other very much...he got me into All-Region band my very first year, and almost All-State. We had been to our first 2 Tuesday night rehearsals a month before band camp, and had grown very close...I viewed him as my son.

Well, I had just written my first ever flute solo (as this was the summer after 7th grade, I was still in my prime of playing)...I had a couple friends over, so I decided to serinade them with my beautifully written beginner's solo. Well, the older (and, might I say, bigger) one of the two had just gotten up to grab my yearbook from that previous schoolyear, as she tended to do a lot at that point...I didn't think anything of it, so I decided to play them my recently arranged version of...oh, I forget what it's called. But it was on my keyboard. So I announced that I was placing my flute on my bed, and to be VERY careful. I majestically stood up and walked to my keyboard, where I started to play. All of a sudden, I heard a yelp of terror, and the younger, tiny friend calling my name. I abruptly stopped playing to look around, and saw the girl who had been looking at my yearbook standing up, in utter shock. Moments later, I was led to my bed, where my precious 9-11 laid there, crushed. The part under where the headjoint is put into the flute (under the barrel) was literally in a V-shape. I stood there in shock, not believing what I saw, until the the older girl started sobbing, telling me over and over again that she was sorry...

Still numb, I told the both of them they had better go. I gingerly picked up my precious 9-11, still in disbelief, cradled him, and travelled slowly to the kitchen, where my mom stood cooking supper.
"Momma..." I said softly, "Momma, my flute is..." Then it became overwhelming, and the tears started pouring. I suddenly blurted out,
"SHE SAT ON MY FLUTE, MOMMA!! FIX IT, PLEASE FIX IT!!!" My mom, seeing the damage, started yelling at me, asking how it happened. I told her the story, and she was raging, "WE JUST BOUGHT THAT FLUTE, LOREN!!! HOW COULD YOU HAVE LET THAT HAPPEN?! WHY DID YOU SIT IT ON YOUR BED?!" Feebly, I answered her questions, and walked silently in my room, still crying. Later on, she called Flute Makers, Inc, and arranged for him to be mailed the next day.

The next morning, before my mom sent him to mail, I took my precious 9-11's only key stopper as sort of a way to remember him forever. That was the last time I ever did, and ever will see my precious, because they called us back the next day to inform my mom that if they could fix him, but he would never sound good again. So she called the insurance company and began a search for my next flute. *sniffs* I still cry whenever I think of my beautiful, precious 9-11, that got me into All-Region and almost All-State in my 2nd year of playing the flute. I will forever hold a place in my heart for him, and will love him forever...

Epilogue: Having an instrument is sort of like having a child, or even a mate...through all of your accomplishments and even downfalls you experience together, you grow to love eachother more and more. The longer you know eachother, the more you know about each other. And the more your unconditional love for each other grows. Then, when your instrument gets hurt, and has to go to the 'doctor' (music store for repairs), you wait impatiently and expectantly till he comes back.

My 9-11 was like my baby, only 9 months old...losing him was the most tragic thing that ever has happened to me. Please, give a moment to give him a short prayer, and hold him in your heart. And for anyone else who has lost an instrument in a tragic event, you know how it feels...and I'm sorry it happened. I will hold your instrument dearly in my heart.

Thanks, and remember to please keep this thread strictly as a memorial to fallen instruments.

Did you see nightmares at night??