Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Flute
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Default New to flute

Hey ya'll, i got a flute for Christmas 2 yrs ago and i've played it maybe a dozen times. I just can't get into it! My mom got me a teach yourself to play flute book that has a CD so you know if you're playing it right, but i don't play much. I play piano a LOT but flute is a whole nother ball game! It also doesn't help that every time i try to play one or more of my siblings get annoyed and tell me to stop. GRRR!!! Does anybody know of any good flute books or anything that'll help me get enthusiastic about playing???
Old 10-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Maybe if you try to listen to more flute pieces, maybe next time you're out looking at CD's pick up a Flute Concerto CD just to see what you can do with it... I however am not a big fan of the flute, so I'm not much help, I can't really get into any member of the flute family they just dont' work for me as a composer...
Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 AM

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

I agree with MCAACMPSR2007...he had a really good idea. There's a lot of really cool effects you can do on a flute, like bending your sound so that it sounds really...erm...weird? (Listen to the Odyssey by Robert W. Smith or Concertino for Four Percussion and Wind Ensemble by David Gillingham for an example of that). You can also play a lot of different um...dang it!! I forgot what it's called...where you finger one note but play others. Yeah, if you finger low C, you can play Taps. Oh and FLUTTER TOUNGUING!!!!!!! It sounds so cool on flute!!! And and and...flute's awesome...you can probably find a book somewhere that has a lot of different types of different things (other than actually playing 'real' notes) you can do on flute. Yeah, there's a song out there also where you play just by hitting the keys...it's cool...I think it's called like popping your keys or something...that's what one of my friends told me after she had a masterclass one day...And on Volver a la Montana, at the very end, you play on nothing but the headjoint (and also bend your sound). And it has this really cool flute solo at the beginning too. But if you need any help on finding really fun (hard pieces once you get to that level) I can help you out...as of right now, if you have any questions as to how to play, ask away, i'll gladly try my best to help.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Mentor Registered User

Try listening to it more and you will like it...

It takes time when I got mine it took time to actually pick it up and play it! I don't play it often though..
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccologurl156
And and and...flute's awesome...you can probably find a book somewhere that has a lot of different types of different things (other than actually playing 'real' notes) you can do on flute.

Well right now I just need to work on playing 'real' notes. My main problem is that when I play middle C it sounds just like the higher C. It's the same with almost every other note I play! How am I supposed to get them to sound different?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Mentor Registered User

Yeah I guess.. Ask Loren, she will know!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM

And who's Loren??
Old 11-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Mentor Registered User

Piccologirl
Old 11-06-2005, 09:44 PM

oh, thanks