Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera
Default Wedding solo, please HELP!!

I've been asked to sing at a wedding ceremony. It's not the first time I sing at a wedding, but this time it's something special and I don't know what to do. I'm a soprano; I will be singing solo, possibly with piano accompaniment. Maybe I can persuade the best man to sing with me, but this not very probable, so let's just think of me and perhaps a piano. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want anything too showy, technically I mean… I just want to convey a message, concentrate more on the words, like, and I'd like the melody to be really sweet. My aim is to make at least the bride cry, yes sir! So if anyone has any suggestions, any advice or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADG + cetera
I've been asked to sing at a wedding ceremony. It's not the first time I sing at a wedding, but this time it's something special and I don't know what to do. I'm a soprano; I will be singing solo, possibly with piano accompaniment. Maybe I can persuade the best man to sing with me, but this not very probable, so let's just think of me and perhaps a piano. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't want anything too showy, technically I mean… I just want to convey a message, concentrate more on the words, like, and I'd like the melody to be really sweet. My aim is to make at least the bride cry, yes sir! So if anyone has any suggestions, any advice or whatever, it would be greatly appreciated!

How about "I know that me Redeemer Lives" from the "Messiah?"

That's really nice and not too hard....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:43 AM
Expert Registered User

Only a semi-serious suggestion, but Prince Charles and Princess Diana had Kiri te Kanawa sing Mozart's Exultate, Jubilate at their wedding, and it certainly made me cry, and I was only one of the gazillions watching on television! Spectacular piece.
I've played at lots of weddings, and the one piece that seems to get sung a lot is Wind Beneath My Wings. Don't know who wrote it, but it's a pretty schmaltzy (understatement!) popular song, not classical, and requested by lots of brides.
Will keep thinking.
Sue
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Expert Registered User

Is it a civil or religious wedding? Are the couple religious?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Senior Registered User

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will certainly keep them in mind.

To answer Sue's question, the couple, as well as the vast majority of the guests, are Christian. As far as I know, the real wedding will be civil (no point in marrying by the Catholic Church) but there will be another ceremony later on. This is what most Christian couples do here.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Registered User

The bride-to-be told me yesterday she'd like me to sing Bist du bei mir, by Bach. That's a nice one, and I'm happy I don't have to think about it anymore! Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Expert Registered User

Not like this has anything to do with your question, but I'm only 15 and have been TOLD that I SHOULD sing for weddings, how did you get started? I have never taken lessons before and I chickenned out for the auditions for a chior. I can sing classical, contemporary or Celtic, just incase you know how to get satrted with those styles.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Registered User

Sorry, Pianist, I didn't get started. In the properly Spanish weddings, I just got up at sang. (In Spanish weddings, people normally do that after lunch, they get up and sing or say a special poem, or tell a story about the couple; it's done very freely.) In the not-properly-Spanish weddings, I was asked by the bride to sing. So there's not much about getting started.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADG + cetera
Sorry, Pianist, I didn't get started. In the properly Spanish weddings, I just got up at sang. (In Spanish weddings, people normally do that after lunch, they get up and sing or say a special poem, or tell a story about the couple; it's done very freely.) In the not-properly-Spanish weddings, I was asked by the bride to sing. So there's not much about getting started.

You must be very good then!!! Wht style do you sing?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Senior Registered User

I'm not good and I sing classical.