Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Suggestions > New Sheet Music Suggestions
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 03-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Expert Registered User

Default SueTuba -No apology necessary; But BAGGED???????

Please, no apology necessary. I simply celebrate diversity. Therefore I can't get bagged on any other violin net discuusion board, as I don't understand how this was the case on this dicussion board. I am constantly critized on traditional violin discussions for stating that it all begins with classical training the the basics. Anything else results in what I thought I might have to apologize for by calling the double-stops I hear in much of the blue grass music as scatch. To understand the diverse interests of classically trained violinists visits the renowned fiddle players cite of Mark O'Conner at www.markoconner.com. He recently completed his second full symphony for full orchestras and both are receiving rave reviews by the classical world. You may also visit www.markwoods.com, the site of Mark Woods the former concertmaster at Juillard, and hear his awesome classical skillls when he plays with Myrah Cary, followed by an awesome statement of Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze. You then may want to visit the website, or page of Matt Glaser, the Chairman of the String Department at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, who has published and recorded the most recognized body of Jazz Violin music in the modern day within the U.S. He studied at both Julliard and Eastman conservatories and has played at both Carnegie Hall and the White House, the Boston Herald called him possibly "Americas most versitile violinist. To continue your journey visit Daryl Angor's website, and his development of the Blues Genre of violin, he is also a graduate and classical violin instructor at Julliard and the Eastman Conservatory, as well as a member of the world famous Turtle Island String Quartet, along with Matt Glaser, THEN visit www.andysteinmusic.com which might be the only website you really need to review, there you will become familiar with the famous violinist, Andy Stein, whose accomplishments I abbreviate in the interest of space, but includes multiple original compositions which he has performed and subsequently arranged for symphonies and orchestras that are most renowned, both in the U.S. and the world; as well as writing the scores and producing scores that have won Grammy awards, Abby Awards, and an Oscar Award on Broadway and in Sceenplays. While at the same time he has been featured on recordings by Aerosmith, Eric Clapton,Ray Charles and Commander Cody, and Bob Dylan. But that was in his spare time when he was not performing original compositions and scores with Itzhak Perlman and Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg in concert with orchestras of the Boston, London and Munich symphonies and the National Symphony in Washington. Oh! and in the rest of his spare time he composed many of the works that have contributed to Joshua Bell being a household name among Classical Violinists. After any effort to review these sites, (but, at a minimum just try the link to Andy Stein), and if you are still thinking I was bagged let me know, I really want to understand.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Expert Registered User

Well, I am severely humbled. Not only was I gratuitously rude (typical brass player!), but rude to a decent person too. The depth of your reply is fantastic! I have clicked all the links into my favourites to explore over the next couple of days.
I also suspect there may be a linguistic problem with my rather coarse use of 'bagged' . I used it in a sense of 'to hang sh** on', 'ridicule' etc. I'm a Brit currently living in Australia, so please forgive my colloquialism! I was leaping to the defence of classical musicians; quite unnecessarily, I see.
And despite being classically trained to Masters level in tuba, I do play other styles!

Honestly, even though it started by my unthinking rudeness, the reply that I've received from S.A.RoseViolin is the kind of level of intelletual stimulus that I've been seeking in forums. A vast improvement on what sometimes appears to be simpletons exchanging slow-motion inanities.

Here's a challenge to all reading this: more forum responses of the quality of the message I'm replying to, please!

Thanks !
Sue
Old 03-29-2006, 04:52 AM
Expert Registered User

Default Suetuba - Please no apology necessary

Hey, thats how we all learn together in this big old small world we live in, please do not apologize. In fact, classical brass players that specialize in Tuba continue to keep me in awe. We may play the plesantries of the melody, but the glue that holds a symphony together is not the classy, and truly crass (or arrogant) at times trumpet players, but the Tubas that get little appreciation. Too many fail to hear and don't listen to the double back flips you guys do on that huge instrument, up and down the register, at times matching note for note the horn players (french horn for my younger contemporaries). But when they put there tight lips to rest, you revert to holding down the bottom. Never does it seem you get even a 3/4 rest. So it just might be you justly earned the right to be a bit crass. Too many people thing tuba is relitive only to souza type music in polka groups. They fail to see the true artistry ya'll possess. Hope to be down under in the fall if all goes as planned, in that big city on the western side, just can't remember the name. Blessings and have fun, we need you.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Junior Registered User

this is interesting... I play the flute in NYU
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Expert Registered User

Default Interesting about Tuba

[FONT=Times New Roman]You wizards in the C woodwind areas are also included, in fact while the lower brass holds down the bottom, when the violins and violas state the melody we are like Hansel and Gretal; we need some bread crumbs to follow, or we just do the same thing thing all over; imagine how boring, and a night at the symphony would be all of 30 minutes. For example, Farandole would be nothing without the awesome flutes leading the way for the string section to follow them home with the melody. And my newest complaint, is the arrangers doing the orchestrations that seem to have forgotten the value of the melodious Oboe. Maybe, to be far to the arrangers, it is, in fact justified. It seems not only studnets, but also parents look forward to their lollipops of positive "easy and fun songs" after a half page in a method book. I firmly believe students beginning the study of an instrument now days are so used to the "Susuki" Lollipops, (and a milk dud for mom and day) that our culture in this part of the Northern Hemisphere is simply losing the discipline need for students to stay with demanding instruments. Oh, and remember, don't push vocal students past 6 notes, and use sign language (solfege) so that we don't push the "Angels" to levels higher than would allow them to sing for the PTA. Sad thing, I hear college vocal graduates that sing like "bitty, bitty bam bam" (Remember I from San Antonio, so pick your own song). What ever happened to heavy mechanics, is it gone when the three tenors retire. I look for to viewing your site. I will look at your site immediately, thanks for posting it.