Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Ensembles > other ensembles...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee
Default Marching Band!!!

Has anyone on here been in a marching band before? OMG, I LOVE marching band... it's practically the best thing EVER!!! Especially DCI... does anyone keep up with DCI? I wish so badly I could learn brass so I could join that... it's the best!!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Wow this was a happenin' thread... umm... I have if you count "Marching" in parades... nothing actually on the field, and lets see the parades were more like walking, the worst was when we had to "March" in the pouring rain, oh it sucked, at least I had the really ugly plastic cowboy hat, to keep my head dry... oh and what else sucked was the hat would get to heavy, from catching the rain so I'd have to keep dumping it, and of course it went forward... eh, it was the school's trumpet...

Quick Question:

Do like sports? (Cheerleading, MB, Ice Skating, and that kind of stuff does not count... Sports are: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer and that stuff (racing included))

Last edited by MCAACMPSR2007 : 07-28-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Um...I enjoy playing basketball with friends. And tennis and badminton are really fun. But other than that, I'm really not a sports person.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:42 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

basketball is cool, 'though I'm no good at it, but I still try to feed the best players, on Mondays in Kuk Sool (Martial Arts), we're outside on Mondays... But sometimes we play soccer or football, oh and socko (hecka cool game, okay so its just dodgeball w/ "goalies" to throw the ball from behind the other team). My best sport of those is probably soccer, but I still love baseball now that is a great sport... Gotta go post somewhere else, so talk to you there...
Old 07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Mentor Registered User

OMG, I forgot about dodgeball!!! I LOVE that game!! I'm so good at it!!

Anyways...band camp update:

OMG, band camp started out so HORRIBLE yesterday!! Okay, we were reviewing marching basics in our own sections yesterday as always. But when my section leader called us to attention, a yellow jacket stung the crap outta me and I screamed and jumped at attention (which you're not supposed to move) so I went to Mr. W and got som ice to numb the pain (cuz like an idiot I pulled the stinger out) and had to sit out during the mini sectionals. Well, after about 5 minutes, I started to get all dizzy and my right arm went numb, so I couldn't march during sectionals. And we were having a drill down!!! But after the feeling finally came back and the pain finally left me, I had a great day (which I don't have time right now to explain cuz I g2g)
Old 07-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Zealot Registered User

Well at least you're feeling better now...
Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Mentor Registered User

Yeah. Oh man, our show is so awesome this year!! But today, I got this one move where I literally have to sprint to my spot in order to get there in time. (It's right after the flute trio...I have 8 beats at a tempo of 172 to go more than 10 yards.) It's horrible...yeah, I have to run to get to the place where the mics will be set for the trio, play the trio (while out of breath) then throw my flute down, grab my pic, and run to my next set. The throwing, grabbing, and running all happens in 16 counts. Then directly after that, I'm leaping backwards whilst playing this huge set of runs, and hoping I stay in step and in the form, and praying that it all comes out right. It's hysterical, watching me and the 2 other people in the trio trying to do all this. I got a good laugh out of it, at least.

Oh! And when it started raining, the trio (me and two other people) had to run to the other side of the field (at least 50 yards away) to put up our piccolos. Then we had 8 beats at a tempo of 172 to run back to the other side of the field (which by the time we got to that part, was probably 100 yards away) then had to double-time it, jump into step, and leap backwards in the attempt to get into the form. Anyone in marching band knows that all that we had to do is near impossible (some may think it is, but trust me...it's not...I know FIRST HAND it's possible), and that anyone attempting to do it is either desperate not to do pushups (or in some cases, laps) or they're just plain crazy. But it was hysterical, watching us rush back and forth for about an hour or so.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccologurl156
Yeah. Oh man, our show is so awesome this year!! But today, I got this one move where I literally have to sprint to my spot in order to get there in time. (It's right after the flute trio...I have 8 beats at a tempo of 172 to go more than 10 yards.) It's horrible...yeah, I have to run to get to the place where the mics will be set for the trio, play the trio (while out of breath) then throw my flute down, grab my pic, and run to my next set. The throwing, grabbing, and running all happens in 16 counts. Then directly after that, I'm leaping backwards whilst playing this huge set of runs, and hoping I stay in step and in the form, and praying that it all comes out right. It's hysterical, watching me and the 2 other people in the trio trying to do all this. I got a good laugh out of it, at least.

Oh! And when it started raining, the trio (me and two other people) had to run to the other side of the field (at least 50 yards away) to put up our piccolos. Then we had 8 beats at a tempo of 172 to run back to the other side of the field (which by the time we got to that part, was probably 100 yards away) then had to double-time it, jump into step, and leap backwards in the attempt to get into the form. Anyone in marching band knows that all that we had to do is near impossible (some may think it is, but trust me...it's not...I know FIRST HAND it's possible), and that anyone attempting to do it is either desperate not to do pushups (or in some cases, laps) or they're just plain crazy. But it was hysterical, watching us rush back and forth for about an hour or so.

You know that sounds like fun, trying to run back and forth putting up instruments and get in to form, btw why didn't you move your cases closer... and whats this I hear about throwing instruments isn't that instrument abuse...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:20 AM
Mentor Registered User

Not literally throwing instruments...can you imagine ME of all people throwing an instrument? I have to very quickly in 8 counts (half of the 16 that I have to get to the next set more than 10 yards away) put my flute on a flute stand and take my picc off a piccolo stand and vise versa. Throwing instruments...who could do such a thing?! For God's sakes, I'm scared to put my flute in a chair for more than 1 second, much less throw my precious Francesca Lee and Isabelle down on the hard asphalt!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Zealot Registered User

I was hoping you wouldn't throw instruments...