Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Junior Registered User

Default Pain

I have only dabbled on violin a few times in my life, but in those few times, I also felt some pains in my shoulder and wrist. Is that a normal thing to overcome when starting violin? It does seem to be a bit of an un-natural position. When I first started playing mandolin, the only thing that hurt were my fingertips! (Sometimes my right shoulder, but only if I stayed too tense).
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
CEO

Yes, that's absolutely normal...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Mentor Registered User

Ok, thanks!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccologurl156
Can flutists get it to?
I don't know much about how things like carpal tunnel syndrome affects violinist's and violist's, but I have read a little about it for flutists. I think mostly it is avoided by avoiding getting tense while playing, and by trying to play with somewhat straighter wrists.

I think you might be able to find some more information by doing a search on Google or Yahoo.

Carl
Old 06-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Expert Registered User

Well, hello everybody!
All these pains are caused because of the unusual position that a violinist must have in order to play. When playing violin, nothing has a normal position. I mean that you would never hold a thing the way you hold the violin. Both hands have to turn, your shoulder has to move up. These are not normal positions that your body is made to take. So, pain may be caused to the wrist, the shoulder, the back... You must expect to have some pain, but be sure you feel comfortable when you play. Otherwise it may be wrong technique that creates pain. You should be careful. Last summer I had problem with my neck. I forced myself to continue playing, though feeling pain, because I would play in a concert at the conservatory. I ended up having physiotherapy the next month. So, don't worry too much, but still pay attention. And don't forget: when the pain starts you must stop playing. It is a sign that something is not going well. It is a complaint of the body. When you will feel better, you 'll be able to play again. Hope I helped!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Expert Registered User

"The basic ill of poor playing lies in the absolute disregard of natural laws"-Feuerman

If it feels too unnatural, start asking questions, because something is probably wrong. When you start, pain is not unusual, but there are many pains that can be avoided, and should be. Start by trying to eliminate tension in the body while playing. It'll help your playing and be healthier.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by bent wrists under a lot of pressure. You should learn to play any instrument with a 'straight wrist', which means your wrist isn't at an angle more than 45 degrees. This is one reason why cellists need to stick their arm out. Miltiadis also had a good point about tension. An interesting paradox of string players is that a great deal of strength is made through a great deal of looseness.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Mentor Registered User

Thanks Everyone,

The pain I was having was right before a major spring concert that I was doing and i was play like 4 hours a day. I don't play that much now. So i am feeling a lot better. Thank you all for your help!

TeenViolaLover
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCELLO
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by bent wrists under a lot of pressure. You should learn to play any instrument with a 'straight wrist', which means your wrist isn't at an angle more than 45 degrees.

What if you're playing with a pretty much straight wrist? The one I bend less hurts for some strange reason. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Mentor Registered User

Yes my wrist is straight!

TeenViolaLover
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM
CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenViolaLover
Thanks Everyone,

The pain I was having was right before a major spring concert that I was doing and i was play like 4 hours a day. I don't play that much now. So i am feeling a lot better. Thank you all for your help!

TeenViolaLover

You are very welcome! Anyway, I studied several hours a day for years the violin (5-6 hours a day) and had pain only at the very first beginning, then it disappeared. Actually I started to play at 8 by studying 15 minutes a day, then I studied always more (30, 45, 1 hour, 2 hours and up). By studying gradually usually works great and you can sustain 5-6 hours or more of playing without any pain... only lassitude!

So, the next time it happens and you have gradually increased the study to 4 hours a day, be sure that the pain doesn't continue for too long (not more than 3-4 days) otherwise there is something wrong in your position and/or playing as already EADG + cetera highlighted before.

Anyway, that's a good news

All the best,