Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Composers > other composers...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Expert Registered User

Question Russian Violinist and Composer

I am trying to locate transcriptions by the Russian Violinist that distingushed his style with awesome slides throughout the register. The only transcription I located was in one of those outrageously priced collections at a local sheet music retailer. Most often I find one piece I need, not a collection of tunes I have played in quartets or orchestras for years. Any Ideas who this individual was, and where his transcriptions can be located.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
CEO

Hello S.A.RoseViolin and thank you for your post.

Do you know the name of the Russian Violinist you mentioned earlier? Please, let me know.

Thank you,
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 AM
Expert Registered User

Default Name of Russian Composer

That is both my problem and my fault. I was reviewing sheet music for graded UIL violin solos for students in Texas and my behavioral drift continued to direct my attention to the interspersed and yet poorly shelved cataloging of solo violin works. The titles of the complilations were attractive, but were consistently either arrangements of peices in the the repertoire of orchestras I have played in since college, or those available from your cite. As an aside, your arrangements are far superior and more metiously representative of the original statements than any I have located in such compiled efforts now published. So, I proceeded to first review the indices, and it was there that I noticed an unfamiliar work and an unfamiliar composer. I reviewed the piece and carried the book with me to the check out area only to find it was priced at more than $50.00. Your subscribtion is far less than that for others reading this reply. So, in purchasing the needed music for students I left behind that compilation and in typical fashion failed to reference to the index for the names. I simply remember the Bio, stating he was a prolific violinist that was noted for his non-traditional use of slides and glissens within the classical genre. Now I must only hope that if I return and rummage through their disorganized stacks of violin solos, I can once again locate this compliation. I was in hopes that your depth of knowledge would provide the answer, and a possible reference to where I could find affordable transcriptions, save and except until you found an interest in your market for preparing and offering transciptions of these pieces. I will try with "All those easy days off" educators get, to go back and locate this single book in a pile of assundry music. Wish me luck, so I can allow you to help. I merely want to attempt one of his pieces, and that will be a challegne in itself unless somewhere somebody has a sound file or recording. Other wise I will need to retranscibe it in finale and let the midi-play back provide indications of the phrasing. It is going to be much like Masssenet's "Meditation", with if played according to the key signature loses its flavor and beauty. That piece if not interpreted correctly becomes a two minute statement. Nigel Kenedy has the shortest interpretation I have heard and the two page statement is 6.30 minutes.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 AM
CEO

Thank you for your kind and exhaustive reply. Do you know if he's a famous violinist such as David Oistrakh or Leonid Kogan?

Any other contribution and ideas are very welcome.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,