Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Violin
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Zealot Registered User

Default Adult Beginner Thread

I'm curious to hear from other adult beginners that started playing violin (or any other instrument really). So, if you are an adult beginner, I'd love to hear feedback on the following (and I'll start ). I tried to think of a range of questions that would stimulate discussion, but feel free to add or subtract whatever you like to this list.
  1. What instrument do you play?
  2. When did you first start playing it?
  3. How many years have you played this instrument?
  4. Was this the first musical instrument that you ever played? If not, what was your previous history?
  5. Do you have lessons? In a group or private? How often?
  6. Did your teacher use a particular method when teaching you?
  7. Do you currently play with other musicians?
  8. What has been your biggest challenge(s) for learning this instrument?
  9. What has been the greatest reward?

What instrument do you play? Violin!
When did you start playing it? At age 35
How many years have you played this instrument? Just barely over one year now.
Was this the first musical instrument that you ever played? If not, what was your previous history? Played piano briefly as a child. Then played clarinet/bass clarinet through middle and high school. Started playing bagpipe at age 27 and played for about 2 years or so.
Do you have lessons? I go to a private teacher sort of weekly. She's flexible on schedule, so it's okay when I can't make a lesson.
Did your teacher use a particular method when teaching you? My teacher is pretty flexible with what I play. So, I can usually bring pieces to her and see if it's within my current range. She'll steer me away from things that I'm not ready for, but allows me to choose what I play. It's kept things interesting for me, since I can make the music that I'd like to make.
Do you currently play with other musicians? Occasionally try a duet with my wife who plays folk harp. Haven't really played with other string instruments other than duets with my teacher. I'd like to find other amatuers when I get more experienced.
What has been your biggest challenge(s) for learning this instrument? For me, two things: 1) Getting time to practice regularly since my schedule is pretty hectic 2) Getting frustrated with the speed of my progress. I think that a lot of times I know how a piece should sound, but my skills aren't always there to make the music that I hear in my head.
What has been the greatest reward? The ability to play a variety of styles of music that I like to play. And, gaining skill (however slowly) over the last year or so.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:27 AM
Expert Registered User

1. What instrument do you play? As an adult beginner, harp and recorder.
2. When did you first start playing it? Harp, about ten years ago, recorder five years ago
3. How many years have you played this instrument? see above. Very intermittent work on both, gaps of several months to a couple of years in that time.
4. Was this the first musical instrument that you ever played? If not, what was your previous history? Professional tuba player, teacher of tuba and euphonium at local universities and performing arts college.
5. Do you have lessons? In a group or private? How often? I had half a dozen harp lessons, until I moved city a few months after I started.
6. Did your teacher use a particular method when teaching you? I think she based her approach on the harp style of Salzedo, a very percussive approach as I understand it.
7. Do you currently play with other musicians? Not on harp and recorder! Only on tuba, where I know what I'm doing!
8. What has been your biggest challenge(s) for learning this instrument? Harp: learning to use so many fingers simultaneously, and both hands!
Recorder: relearning breathing: exploring a whole new repertoire.

9. What has been the greatest reward? Completely different repertoire and sounds, on both instruments, to my usual music-making.

Thanks for a great set of questions, Austin! Made me think!
Sue
Old 03-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suetuba
Thanks for a great set of questions, Austin! Made me think!
Sue

Thanks for the response! What sort of harp do you play? Is it a pedal harp or a folk (lever) harp? My wife plays folk harp; a 26 string Blevins harp with levers on C, F, and B. I've been trying to talk her into getting a 34 or 36 string lever harp at some point.

I've been very, very tempted to pick up an Irish flute at some point. The other instrument that would be intersting to me to try would be the mandolin.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 AM
Mentor Registered User

I know I'm still a minor, but for future referance, I would love to start playing a a double-bass with a GERMAN bow. The first time I saw someone playing with a German bow, I was like TOTALLY fascinated by it! The funny part is that I don't even know why.....I guess playing the DB is like playing 2 inst. at once with the pizz. and all that good stuff....
Old 03-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
I know I'm still a minor.........

Personally I think I'm more F# minor...........

I played bass for a few years, (until I broke my wrist rather spectacularly)
and was taught French bow. I did experiment with German bow, and loved the the lightness and delicacy I could achieve with it, but it felt awkward, particularly near the tip.
Fascinating that these two styles of bowing should have survived. Perhaps there's a bass player member of VSM Forums who can enlighten us as to why?
Sue
Old 03-29-2006, 04:54 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinViolin
What sort of harp do you play? Is it a pedal harp or a folk (lever) harp? My wife plays folk harp; a 26 string Blevins harp with levers on C, F, and B. I've been trying to talk her into getting a 34 or 36 string lever harp at some point.

I've been very, very tempted to pick up an Irish flute at some point. The other instrument that would be intersting to me to try would be the mandolin.

I have a 36 string lever harp, which the previously mentioned harp teacher found for me, after I had to do some rehearsals with her for a concerto written for me, with a significant chunk of the third movement being for solo tuba and harp. She got fed up with me staring longingly at her (orchestral) harp, and suggested I buy this one!
I believe it was made in Tasmania by an American fellow, George Callaghan. It's being a bit neglected (understatement!) at the moment, due to other musical commitments. I haven't even tuned it for a couple of weeks; but I could never bear to part with it. So nice to come home after an evening of really loud brass playing, and play a couple of O'Carolan tunes, with a glass of wine on emergency standby.
I used to play (tuba) in folk and novelty bands with mandolinists; such a dainty but loud instrument! I think there were two kinds? Flatback, and I presume something like round?
Is an Irish flute the same thing as a tin whistle?
Sue
Old 03-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suetuba
I used to play (tuba) in folk and novelty bands with mandolinists; such a dainty but loud instrument! I think there were two kinds? Flatback, and I presume something like round?
Is an Irish flute the same thing as a tin whistle?
Sue

Yeah, you can get flat back or round back. The flat backs come in 'f-style' or 'a-style'. I believe for American bluegrass style the f-style mandolins are more popular. For Irish music and the like the A-style is more popular.

Irish flute is a 'simple system' flute. Although you can get it with some keys for accidentals, I'd probably just get a simple one without keys and just the six tone holes. I'm pretty sure that the fingerings and cross-fingerings are the same as with tin whistle, though you hold it like a regular flute and not like a tin whistle.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera

Anybody be so kind so as to explain what cross-fingerings are? (I play tin-whistle…)
Old 03-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADG + cetera
Anybody be so kind so as to explain what cross-fingerings are? (I play tin-whistle…)

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/flu...#crossfingering

An extremely detailed explanation on this site.

And I even resisted to urge to say that "cross fingering" is when you play with angry fingers....
Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera

If I've understood properly, cross-fingering is what you do when you leave open holes in-between covered ones, right?