Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Violin
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 05-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Junior Registered User

Smile Electric or acoustic violin???

Hello everyone!I am new to this forum so I want to ask you some questions.
I am 17 years old and i am seriously thinking about starting violin lessons.
I have been playing the guitar for about 5 years so i have a little experience in music.I can take lessons for only 3 months in summer because then i will have to start school again...Is it possible to learn the basics in three months???
Another question is about what kind of violin to buy....
I want to buy an electric violin so i will be able to practise silently with headphones.I also have many guitar proccesors and effect units so i can plug the electric violin into them and get some good sounds.I can pay up to 1000-1200 euros.I want you to tell me if an electric violin can produce good acoustic sounds too.And what brand of electric violin to buy(is Antoni electric violin good???)Thanks

Sorry for my bad English,i am Greek you see...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:56 PM
CEO

Hello savaoth.

About your question to learn the basics in three months, yes, with a good teacher you can do it.

The choice of the violin depends by your "purpose". If you want to study violin just for fun, of course I suggest you to go ahead with your idea to buy an electric violin. Otherwise, if you are serious about it and whish to become a professional or play together with other people, I would suggest a traditional violin. It's completely different by the electric one.

About the brand and kind of electric violin, I am sorry, I'm not an expert about electric violins, maybe someone else can help you on that way.

Just my thoughts... my best wishes for your violin learning!

Sincerely,
Fabrizio
Old 05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Junior Registered User

Smile

Thanks for your answer.
What makes you say that if i want to be a professional player i must buy a traditional violin?
Does it have any diferense in the way you play???
And if you know please tell me your opinion about Antoni violins electric or acoustic.Thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 04:14 PM
CEO

You are very welcome...

Well, the differences are huge. Here a brief list:

1. The sound emission is different, if you learn to play on the electric violin you'll have difficulties to produce a nice sound on a traditional violin because your right arm will perform a different pressure on the strings. Maybe you could have difficult to produce good sounds. While on the electric violin the sound is ALWAYS produced, no matter how much pressure you apply to the strings, on a traditional violin you must calibrate the pressure to obtain a nice sound.

2. I am not sure, but I guess strings are also different on a electric violin
or, at least, no matter what string you use the instrument sounds always the same. For a professional violinist on a traditional instrument it's important to understand differences on strings and their different sound production.

3. About the left probably you wouldn't have many differences but to learn to tune a traditional violin requires you to listen to the real acoustic sound of the strings, and I guess you would have difficulties to tune a traditional violin if you learn on an electric violin.

Anyway, those are only theoretical and my personal opinions and, important, you can just start learning on a electric violin, then, when you decide to study the "real" violin, switch to it without any problem. You'll have just to understand the differences between the instruments and after a while (1-2 months of study), you'll feel comfortable about the different playing on a traditional instrument.

My best wishes again.

Sincerely,
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Junior Registered User

Hi again!
If i get an acoustic is Suzuki ns20 good for an amateur?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:27 PM
CEO

Sure. I think that's may be a good starting point.

Sincerely,