Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Expert Registered User

Send a message via MSN to CDH35
Default Opus Clavicembalisticum

Hi,
I just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of or has a copy of Opus Clavicembalisticum by Sorabji. I was amazed when I saw just a few measures of it. It is considered by many of the greatest pianists of the world to be the hardest song ever written, in both its technicality, its expression, and its overall length which spans 4 hours more or less spread between 12 movements. Its , in one word, amazing. He started using up to 3 or even 5 staves to fit all the music into the measure. I dont really know where I am going with this, lol, but if anyone has heard of it plz reply
Old 06-17-2006, 04:13 PM
CEO

Hello and thank you for your post.

No, actually I never listened to music by Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji. He seems to be a very interesting modern composer... I'll check it out!

Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Old 07-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

hmmm...never heard of it...do you know where I could find a recording of it?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Expert Registered User

Send a message via MSN to CDH35

i know u can find several recordings at amazon.com, but they get pretty costly because of the length and overrall rarity of someone actually good enough to make a recording, i think the cheapest is like 60 bucks, the most expensive one recorded by Madge is supossedly horrible, but there's a new guy out there who has been performing the piece frequently and quite better than any of his predeccessors, so i am waiting for his recording to come out before venturing that much money on a recording....i think u can find out a lot more just by typing Opus Clavicembalisticum into google...
Old 07-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Oh wow...that's really expensive...I'll have to look and see if I can find any cheaper ones...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Junior Registered User

I don't have a recording of this piece but it is a very interesting one, and yes, that's right about staves - 3 or 4 are common. For those who haven't got a clue about a piece, here is a fragment of the score:

Looks grand, doesn't it?