Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > other instruments...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Expert Registered User

Wink How did you become interested?

How did any of you become intersted in your insruments?
Here's mine:
I was 4 years old and could play the whole "Mary had a little Lamb" song by ear on my little Fisher Price piano. Even when I was born, the doctors said "She's going to be a piano player becuase of long fingers" and sure enough.... So when I was 5 and a half, my parents brought me to a piano teacher and I played my first song by reading music that was like, 5 sec. long and with 3 notes, but I thought I sounded like a pro! I got my first piano for my 6th birthday and still have it and USE it to this day! It was built in 1901!!!! So, I don't really remeber NOT going to piano lessons but yet I remeber my first day So that was my mini story! How bout you?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera

I wanted to play the violin since I can remember, but I wasn't able to until a year and a half ago. My mother started teaching me the recorder at six, but it didn't last long. My cousin began teaching me the piano when I was seven, because she wanted to teach somebody and I had a pretty enough face , and eventually I got interested in it too. After two years we moved so I stopped learning. After a few years, due to problems I had and other things, and also thanks to my cousin, I got seriously hooked up on music. That was about four years ago, and since then I've taken up piano and recorder again (I began with just descant but now I play treble and tenor too), mouth-organ, penny-whistle, violin (at last!), Irish flute, some percussion, and I still have great dreams of grallas and lutes. Where all this came from, I don't know, but the fact that it came at all is enough for me!

Last edited by EADG + cetera : 07-06-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Senior Registered User

Cool

I've always liked music.
I guess I didn't start earlier because it was too expensive.
Like, I remember one year my parents asked if I wanted to study music, and I excitedly said yes, thinking of instruments. I was so disappointed when it turned out to be only singing!
I also remember that in the church I was always hovering around the piano and I sometimes tried to play it, but the pianists for some reason don't like children around the piano, so... I still wonder to this day exactly why we weren't allowed around =S.
Those were my "early signs".
But then one year, when I was in fifth grade or so, I went shopping with my parents for a birthday present, was set on a doll until my mother said, "get something you'll like for a longer time!" So I found a piano keyboard, instantly deciding that I wanted it.
Then at home I decided it was no fun this way, and I wanted to learn how to play it, so... I was begging for the whole year, and finally when I began sixth grade I began piano lessons as well, and on top of it skipped a grade (of piano) because I'd accidentally taught myself the whole first grade
So, that's my piano story.
Then, the guitar, well, we started going to different church sometimes which was more conservative, and a lot of people know how to play the guitar there, and I would wistfully say: "I wish I could play the guitar, too." And, as I did with the piano lessons, I begged and begged for a guitar, finally got one about two months later, and am going to begin lessons in September
Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Senior Registered User

Send a message via MSN to EADG + cetera

I can think of many reasons little children aren't allowed around pianos. For instance, I have found that the useless and very harmful activity of dropping pencils down the piano holds a special attraction to little persons, and also it is not to be denied that greasy fingerprints don't look too good on instruments of ANY kind, let alone pianos. Besides, one little five-year-old kid is enough to put the entire piano out of tune. Since you don't know what a child is going to do to your prized instrument, it's better to keep them all away, for the sake of everybody's nerves. You should see the piano at the last school I attended. Believe me, I have seen things in my short life that would wrench the blood out of your heart!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Registered User

I was always nice and gentle. Anyway, it was a piano keyboard, which can't be put out of tune, and stuff can't be thrown in, and anyway I was at church, so my hands were fairly clean.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Hmm...well, when the high school had the flute quartet play at the middle school on the day they handed out the stuff to sign up for band with, I decided I wanted to be on stage doing that...and since they wouldn't let us start off on French Horn, I decided on flute. And now I'm glad I did, cuz I've become a great flute player, and couldn't see myself playing anything else.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Expert Registered User

Send a message via MSN to CDH35
Default sax

i guess music kind of got implanted in my brain when i was really little...my parents got me a drum set which i used to play day in and day out, until the cheap tops broke through to the delight of my parents then, i got a small keyboard, and i liked that alot, but i decided early on, for a reason i forget that i wanted to play saxophone more than anything else...so when the signup sheets came around in fifth grade, i went straight for a sax, and then in 6th grade, i finnaly was able to take the piano lessons i wanted for a couple yrs.....but i kind of went through all 6 books in like 6 months...so i had to stop them...but ya, now, i love alto sax....its the best , along with the piano and a little bit of clarinet, it couldnt get any better.......by the way i just wanna say happy eighteenth bday to ykb.....a source of sarcasm , humor, information, ideas, intelligence, and a love of music that has become a center of more than a few vsm forum discussions....