Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 12-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee
Default The Venting Room!!!

Okay, for those of you who have NEVER used it before, the Venting Room is a place to vent all the problems you've experienced throughout the day. This way, you can get advice from different perspectives and vent whenever you're mad at someone/something. It's a really good stress reliever.

My vent for today is actually the thread I just created about the Symphonic Band Chair Placements...I really am extremely upset/frustrated/stressed/confused about it...and I dunno what to do or think about it. It's literally already frustrated me to the point of tears...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Why are you extremely upset/frustrated/stressed/confused about it?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:14 PM

It's a good idea to create a venting room, I'm sure I'll use it a lot. Right now I'm kinda up because I can't seem to drink enough coffee! I don't know why but with every cup I've drank so far today I need another one!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Why are you extremely upset/frustrated/stressed/confused about it?

Because I was given second chair to a person that I've more than proven that I'm a better musician than and I had an excellent audition (I recieved a 99 out of a possible 100 points, but she recieved 99.5/100). And it's not fair that he would place her better just because I made HBOA...you should go to the Symphonic Band Chair Placement thread...that explains a little more. But I'm really frustrated, especially, because I know I'm better, but with the chair placement, it makes it seem to everyone else in the school, that she's a better player. But she's not. Hmph.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:28 PM

I'm sorry Loren! I know that's gotta be frustrating!!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
I'm sorry Loren! I know that's gotta be frustrating!!

yeah, it really is...thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:30 PM

Sorry I can't be of anymore comfort. I wish I could say that I know what it's like, but I can't.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Mentor Registered User

Okay, I don't have much of a vent; more of a frightening thought that's hit me hard the past couple weeks...I'm gonna be leaving home and going to college in just 2 years...That means I'll no longer have the security of my best friends, my family, and the teachers I've come to know and love in the small town I live in. It's quite frightening to think that in 2 years, I'll be an adult...I don't wanna be an adult...I'm happy being a kid...it's too fun to be a kid!! I mean, who would ever wanna leave childhood?? Especially to gain nothing but responsibilities, harder classwork, a job, bills, and all that other stuff that comes with leaving home?? I mean, what if I don't make it in the field I'm wanting to major in?? What if I fail miserably at playing flute all of a sudden out of nowhere, and lose possibly the best gift God could ever give a person?? How am I gonna cope with adulthood, when I can barely cope with HS problems? What will it be like out there for me? How will I turn out? What if my parents didn't turn me into the adult I need to be, to make it in the real world??

Oh, so many questions...yeah, just a sudden random fear I realized...I'm scared to death of growing up. Does anyone else here agree with me and/or have any good advice for me??

Oh, and I know nobody on here has really heard me play, but based off of the stuff you have heard that I've made, do you think I stand a chance at making Juilliard? Or Berklee? (Some of the top liberal arts schools in America...people come from all over the world for Juilliard; it's overly prestigious...)

There's my rant for the night
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
Okay, I don't have much of a vent; more of a frightening thought that's hit me hard the past couple weeks...I'm gonna be leaving home and going to college in just 2 years...

[snip]

There's my rant for the night

Wow, don't give us an easy one to answer or anything . I enjoyed college a lot more than high school. You have a lot more freedom to learn what you want to learn. There are certainly things that suck about growing older, but there are good and bad things about every age. I mean, I have a lot more responsibilities at this point in my life, but I enjoy raising children. I'd really miss out on a lot if I hadn't 'grown up'.

Just remember that at your age, your path in life is not set in stone at all, you are free to change directions. I certainly evolved in my college career (hmm...possibly devolved... .

You seem really interested in music and certainly seem to have done well at the HS level. However, I'm not a music major so it would be hard to say 'oh yeah, you'll make it into Juilliard'. I actually don't know that many music majors, but my violin teacher and one of my friends were music majors at Rice (Shepard School of Music). I would hope that you wouldn't pin your success as a musician onto getting into one particular school.

All I can say is that it would be really boring if you new everything would be just fine from the outset.

Not sure that was helpful or not....
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Mentor Registered User

reassuring...nah, I have a few other schools on my mind...but there's also other stuff that goes into that. thanks for the help!!