Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Junior Registered User

Default Figured Bass

Hi guys, my friend and I are playing a sonata for 2 cellos for solo & ensemble. The only edition that exists (as far as I know) is a copy of the first printing (1739). The only problem is that there is figured bass over the 2nd cello part with no realization and our accompanist doesn't know how to realize figured bass, so I'm writing my own realization. I know the basics of figured bass but I just have a few questions:
Does the piano (continuo) have to play the bass line all the time?
Do I have to have the same number of voices?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 AM
CEO

Hello Andrew and thank you for your inquiry.

Here are my replies to your questions:

1. Yes, realized keyboard parts usually have the bass line (continuo) and it is kept like the original without any modification.

2. The realized part can have as many voices as you wish, there's not a fixed number. Usually the left hand plays the continuo part alone whereas the right hand plays the realization which is usually composed by chords of 2-4 notes.

To have an idea of realization, as a Member you can have easily a look at our Brandenburg Concertos. Please, let me know if you have any further questions.

My best wishes for your work!

All the best,