Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Piano
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Junior Registered User

Default hello

i want to learn the technique of playing hymn i.e u play the melody with the right hand while the bass notes will be runing like the melody of jesu joy by j .s bach. is there atechnique of playing a pipe organ pedal without looking at the pedal.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Junior Registered User

(I just wrote a really long reply but it got closed so this is slightly shorter)

With a Baroque hymn, particularly Bach's, it is important to realize that it is somewhat different than the 4 part hymns you often see in that it has a definate melody line and a definate accompanyment, where as in some traditional hymns both cleffs carry the melody.

I suppose some technical advice for playing this song would be to, practice accenting the melody without making it sound harsh, and practice adding the accompanying notes so that they are softer but still heard. Furthermore, play it as you would all Baroque pieces - pay attention to phrases, practice slowly/hands separate, use a metronome, use constant fingering, and try to still be expressive without sacrificing technical integrity.

As for organ pedals, they are arranged the same as a keyboard, i.e. the accidentals are shorter and elevated, etc. Think of it in that way and practice with it and you will learn to play it without looking.

I hope this helps