Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Junior Registered User

Talking What is the best(inexpensive) sheet music editor?

I'm about to go buy a new editor as my old version of cakewalk is aeons overdue for an update . I need something that can record and save in midi formats. I'd love to hear what your real life experience is. Also does anyone know of some nice software that teaches singing ?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Mmmm...I don't know of any software, but a great way to learn how to sing is to experience it. Start off learning how to match pitches to a keyboard and know what notes they are. Eventually, you'll be able to read it in music. And another really good way is to sing a song you have on CD by ear. Copy their style of singing at first, even memorize where they do and don't use vabrato, then develope your own way. Eventually, you'll be all set. Did I help? I don't know if that makes any sense or not.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Junior Registered User

Red face

Thanks! I am really trying to improve my singing--specifically my pitch. I want to see if maybe there's some software that can give me visual feedback about wether I'm singing the right pitch or not. But your tips will probably help even more! Are you a singer as well as a Picologirl?

Last edited by MusicLife : 07-22-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Well, I'm not in any kind of choruses or even a random singing group outside of school, but I do love to sing. (And I'm rather good at it too). But a really good thing to use to know if you're singing the right pitch is a tuner. They run from about $15-30 and are extremely useful, even for singing. You can find one in any music store. They'll tell you if you're singing the note in tune, in addition to what note you are singing.

And you're very welcome...I'm glad I could help. If you ever need any tips, I'll gladly give you some. (I tend to be full of tips for some reason) Good luck!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Zealot Registered User

Finale Notepad is free, but it doesn't let you import/export MIDI files.
Finale Notepad Plus is $24.95 and you an import/export MIDI.

If you want to do realtime MIDI entry with one of their products, you have to get at least Finale Songwriter, which is like $49.95.

They have a product page here:

http://www.finalemusic.com/store/productoverview.aspx

As far as something to see if you are singing in tune, it might be easiest for you to buy a chromatic tuner that you can watch while you sing?? They are probably software chromatic tuners, but I have a little portable one that does chromatic tuner, metronome, and pitches. Was only about $20, and you can carry it with you.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Junior Registered User

Thanks for the info! Nice to meet you! Any one else?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

I definitely like the Finale PrintMusic, it has more capabilities than the Notepad, which is really constricted...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Junior Registered User

Question

Anyone else find anything-- What about my question about software for practicing singing?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLife
Anyone else find anything-- What about my question about software for practicing singing?

All I can say is to look around on the internet and in stores such as Best Buy or Mediaplay.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Zealot Registered User

Send a message via AIM to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via MSN to MCAACMPSR2007 Send a message via Yahoo to MCAACMPSR2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLife

This probably isn't as cheap as you want it and I don't know how this works, but here's the link...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7.../d=tp?q=trainer

The vocal trainer is the third on the list...