Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > More About Classical Music...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 01-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Pro-Mentor Registered User

Default Music

Hey, just wondering what kind of music ya'll listen to. Like regular music, not just classical or whatever. And, if you want, you can attach a song you like or whatever. YKB, can you put some on here that you like that you don't consider to be conpemporary??? I'm trying to copy some music my brother brought home from college to see if you like it.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:20 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

I don't think I have any small enough files to put on here, but I listen to Show Tunes, when I'm not listening to Classical. If I ever get tired of musicals, though, I usually listen to country. But that's hardly ever.

Possibly my favorite musical of all time, is Sunset Boulevard (created by Andrew Lloyd Webber...it's actually a remake of the movie Sunset Boulevard, by Billy Wilder). But only the London Cast version...with Patty LuPone, who, by the way, is an AWESOME singer!!! She was also the first person to play Eva Perron in Evita, also by Webber.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
I don't think I have any small enough files to put on here, but I listen to Show Tunes, when I'm not listening to Classical. If I ever get tired of musicals, though, I usually listen to country. But that's hardly ever.

Possibly my favorite musical of all time, is Sunset Boulevard (created by Andrew Lloyd Webber...it's actually a remake of the movie Sunset Boulevard, by Billy Wilder). But only the London Cast version...with Patty LuPone, who, by the way, is an AWESOME singer!!! She was also the first person to play Eva Perron in Evita, also by Webber.

You can zip the files to make them small enough. Fabrizio said he made it so we can attach files up to 10MB, I haven't been able to attach anything over 3MB though. I used to listen to country music ALL the time! I loved it!!! Then I woke up and realized that those songs were putting thoughts and images in my head that didn't need to be there and they were promoting things that I don't agree with. So I stopped listening to all country and just stick with Christian, not the "Christian rock" or anything like that but the good old songs that really glorify God. Since I stopped listening to country music my relationship with my Lord and my family has GREATLY improved!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice Born
You can zip the files to make them small enough. Fabrizio said he made it so we can attach files up to 10MB, I haven't been able to attach anything over 3MB though. I used to listen to country music ALL the time! I loved it!!! Then I woke up and realized that those songs were putting thoughts and images in my head that didn't need to be there and they were promoting things that I don't agree with. So I stopped listening to all country and just stick with Christian, not the "Christian rock" or anything like that but the good old songs that really glorify God. Since I stopped listening to country music my relationship with my Lord and my family has GREATLY improved!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, like I said, I don't listen to country very much anymore...mostly classical and musicals. lol
Old 01-01-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
Yeah, like I said, I don't listen to country very much anymore...mostly classical and musicals. lol
Good idea!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:25 AM
Zealot Registered User

Besides classical, I mostly listen to "alternative" rock (I hate that term, but that's the label it has), electronic, celtic, folk, other international (I guess "world music"), and some bluegrass. I'm not a fan of contemporary country music, but like artists like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams (Sr. not Jr.).

I guess I should add "celtic punk" to that or whatever they call it since I've been listening to a lot of Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys lately (and, of course, the Pogues before them).
Old 01-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Mentor Registered User

I think music is one of the most powerful mediums out today. Alot of experts will agree with me. What rock music and all the other un-classical music trys to do is to control your emotions. For example, go to a piano and do the following: hit a C major chord (C,E,G) then hit a Cm chord (C,E-flat,G). After that put both chords together(C,E-flat,E,G and see what it sounds like. IT SOUNDS REVOLTING. I don't know one sane person that would willingly listen to that chord. It makes you want to become .
YET, that is a VERY popular chord in rock music. That chord brings a feeling of unrest, inward violence etc. It is a very UN-natural chord. So, with that and similar chords (various 13th chords not used properly and the like...) these rock-composers try to control your emotions. Don't believe me? Go to a rock concert and see for yourself!!! All the other styles (jazz,pop,etc.), to a certain degree imitate what rock music trys to do. That's why, Smiley, you felt what you felt when you listened to country. I will gladly debate the above statements that I made.

YKB
Old 01-01-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
I think music is one of the most powerful mediums out today. Alot of experts will agree with me. What rock music and all the other un-classical music trys to do is to control your emotions. For example, go to a piano and do the following: hit a C major chord (C,E,G) then hit a Cm chord (C,E-flat,G). After that put both chords together(C,E-flat,E,G and see what it sounds like. IT SOUNDS REVOLTING. I don't know one sane person that would willingly listen to that chord. It makes you want to become .
YET, that is a VERY popular chord in rock music. That chord brings a feeling of unrest, inward violence etc. It is a very UN-natural chord. So, with that and similar chords (various 13th chords not used properly and the like...) these rock-composers try to control your emotions. Don't believe me? Go to a rock concert and see for yourself!!! All the other styles (jazz,pop,etc.), to a certain degree imitate what rock music trys to do. That's why, Smiley, you felt what you felt when you listened to country. I will gladly debate the above statements that I made.

YKB

Surprisingly, I agree with you about rock music. It is all about controlling your emoitions. That's why I don't listen to it, I want God and God alone to control my emotions.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
YET, that is a VERY popular chord in rock music. That chord brings a feeling of unrest, inward violence etc. It is a very UN-natural chord. So, with that and similar chords (various 13th chords not used properly and the like...) these rock-composers try to control your emotions. Don't believe me? Go to a rock concert and see for yourself!!! All the other styles (jazz,pop,etc.), to a certain degree imitate what rock music trys to do. That's why, Smiley, you felt what you felt when you listened to country. I will gladly debate the above statements that I made
YKB

And classical music doesn't attempt to provoke an emotional response?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinViolin
And classical music doesn't attempt to provoke an emotional response?
Yes it does, but not the same emotion rock music does.