Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Ensembles > String Quartet
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2006, 04:14 PM
YKB's Avatar
YKB YKB is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: At this point, Cyberspace
Posts: 1,186
Arrow Whose playing which string quartets?

Hey, I'd just like to say that we have a string quartet in our family and currently we're working on the 1st mov. of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Mozart and the last mov. of the "Lark" string quartet by Haydn. Then with some friends we're "working" on the first mov. of the "American" by Dvorak. If anyone has played these pieces or has played in a string quartet and has some tips on managing/working with a string quartet, this thread's for you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2006, 06:14 PM
jeeViola's Avatar
jeeViola jeeViola is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,540
Default

Hey Y,

I know of a family that goes to my brothers church that you may be interested in. Check out this write up that was done in the main Seattle newspaper:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...overman11n.html

I hired to Royal (the tall cellist) to play with me for a wedding last summer.
He told me that they play string quartet.
I can give Ken Overman your email address if you like.

grandpa
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Chipmunk's Avatar
Chipmunk Chipmunk is offline
Pro-Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeViola
Hey Y,

I know of a family that goes to my brothers church that you may be interested in. Check out this write up that was done in the main Seattle newspaper:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...overman11n.html

Very cool!!! Kinda funny, though, cuz I've always thought Sterling is a cool name but when I told my mom that that's what I want to name my first son she about had a heart attack! Now I can show her that it is a name and that her grandson wouldn't be the only boy name Sterling.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:51 PM
jeeViola's Avatar
jeeViola jeeViola is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Very cool!!! Kinda funny, though, cuz I've always thought Sterling is a cool name but when I told my mom that that's what I want to name my first son she about had a heart attack! Now I can show her that it is a name and that her grandson wouldn't be the only boy name Sterling.
Good for you Smiley. BTW The Overmans are really nice people that I think you would get along nicely with. And talk about musical?
The oldest daughter is attending Azusa Pacific University and studying violin. (The dean of music at APU is a good friend of mine.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Chipmunk's Avatar
Chipmunk Chipmunk is offline
Pro-Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,684
Default

From what I read, it sounds like they are very nice. I'd love to meet them and get to know their family!!! I've always wanted more musical friends.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
jeeViola's Avatar
jeeViola jeeViola is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,540
Default

Smiley,

Talk to your parents about how such a connection would be possible.
I could look up the web site for their church and then....
(BTW they are not the only Overmans that are musical....)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Chipmunk's Avatar
Chipmunk Chipmunk is offline
Pro-Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeViola
Smiley,

Talk to your parents about how such a connection would be possible.
I could look up the web site for their church and then....
(BTW they are not the only Overmans that are musical....)

You bet I will!! If you find their website let me know what it is and I'll see what I can do.
What do you mean by that last part???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:19 PM
jeeViola's Avatar
jeeViola jeeViola is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
You bet I will!! If you find their website let me know what it is and I'll see what I can do.
What do you mean by that last part???

Here is the link to their church (my bother and my mother attend there also):
www.aflchurch.org (look under music for a reference to Ken)

There are more branches to the Overman family.
Ken Overmans family is actually somewhat younger than the others that I know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Chipmunk's Avatar
Chipmunk Chipmunk is offline
Pro-Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeViola
Here is the link to their church (my bother and my mother attend there also):
www.aflchurch.org (look under music for a reference to Ken)

Very cool! Thanks! I'll look at it when I'm done cleaning the kitchen.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
jeeViola's Avatar
jeeViola jeeViola is offline
Mentor Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,540
Default

I think that music@aflchurch.org Is a link to Ken Overman.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
alternate parts for string quartets kmmohn New Features Requests 2 09-16-2010 01:31 PM
Mendelssohn String Quartets Jerry Henry New Sheet Music Suggestions 1 02-19-2009 04:54 AM
String Quartets Robert Garbarz New Sheet Music Suggestions 1 12-26-2008 04:33 AM
Schubert String Quartets Finn Ros New Sheet Music Suggestions 1 11-20-2008 03:59 PM
String Quartets Kjell Linden New Sheet Music Suggestions 1 09-02-2005 04:49 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33 AM.