Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Ensembles > other ensembles...
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCELLO
I'm a cellist and would be more than glad to preform one of these. In fact, we could go beyond duet and preform trios or quintets.

"The Virtual Quintet"

Not the coolest name, but it's better than some I've preformed in.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a quick search on the archives. There are two duets for cello and flute. There are also two trios for violin, flute, and cello. I am not certain of the range of a piccolo, but it is possible that it is capable of playing the violin parts (just an octave higher )

I'd be willing to do it... sounds fun. And a picc's range can actually probably go up as high as the player wants (maybe to the extent of a violin's preferred range, depending on the person's range. But most piccolo players can barely get high B and above out. (5 ledger lines above the staff) But I'll play in it. I could play flute or piccolo, whichever suites the instrumentation better.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Expert Registered User

Thumbs up

I think it would be cool to do something like that.

Any ideas for a piece?

Carl
Old 06-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Mentor Registered User

How does this work? Maybe we can have an "long distance ensamble?"

For all the people on this board?

Flute
Viola
Picc
Cello
Violin
Trumpet
etc?

Just a thought

TeenViolaLover
Old 06-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenViolaLover
How does this work? Maybe we can have an "long distance ensamble?"
Well it's a little more complicated with more than two people, but here's how it might go.

Somebody would record their part, and send that recording to the next person. This person would then play their part while listening to the other person's part on headphones. (You would use headphones so that the other person's part wouldn't get recorded in the same file as your part.) After two parts are recorded, either the next person could record their part while listening to one of the files, or I could take the two files and put them together in my sequencer and make one file that contained both parts that the next person could listen to while recording their part. You would continue in a similar manner until all the parts are recorded. I would then take all the parts put them in my sequencer and make a single file of them all playing at once for our listening enjoyment .

I know this is a little confusing, so feel free to ask any more questions. The idea of a long distance ensemble on the forum sounds fun. Finding sheet music might be a little difficult. But we do have Virtual Sheet Music in common at least.

I hope I answered your question.

Carl

P.S. My sister who plays violin has even gotten interested in this .
Old 06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Expert Registered User

I've thought about this for a little bit, and have come up with a few comments/ suggestions.

*depending on the piece, the bass line should probably be played first. If it is a slower, more expressive piece, the lead instrument(s) should go first.

*This is obvious, but learn the other person(s) part(s). It'll help with balance issues.

*The balance between players may need to be adjusted in the magical computer due to differences in recording environment and individual players' dynamic preferences.

*After starting the recording, wait 30 seconds or so, then count (out loud, of course) 1..2..3..4 or whatever the time signature calls for. Then, obviously, play!

*If there are parts with multiple measure rests, those parts should be recorded last.

*I also arrange music, and it may be a helpful talent, but unfortunately I'm restricted mostly to strings due to my lack of knowledge regarding other instruments.

I'm sure there were other things I've though of, but none immediately come to mind. Any other thoughts?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Expert Registered User

RobertCELLO, those are great tips. They should really help it go a bit smoother.

I also know a bit about arranging music, so I might be able to help some if we need to arrange some music for our group.

Speaking of the group, what's our membership look like? I think we currently have for sure: myself, Piccologurl156, and you. I also think TeenViolaLover wanted to do it. My sister is also interested in our group, though she is only a beginner on violin. I think that is it for now.

I hope we can find something that will work with our group.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Expert Registered User

If we wanted to, we could play a string quartet. Flute and piccolo would have the violin parts, viola would play viola, and cello would play cello. I'll play with some of the midis in a synthesizer to see how it sounds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not, when I plug the piccolo into 2nd violin and flute into first it sounds better than piccolo as first and flute as 2nd (1st violins get the melody). Does anybody know if it would work properly in real life having the flute play melody and having the counter melody played by a piccolo?

Last edited by RobertCELLO : 06-15-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Believe it or not, when I plug the piccolo into 2nd violin and flute into first it sounds better than piccolo as first and flute as 2nd (1st violins get the melody). Does anybody know if it would work properly in real life having the flute play melody and having the counter melody played by a piccolo?
It might work. (You did transpose the piccolo's part so that it doesn't go below the fourth line treble clef D? Written an octave lower than sounding of course.) I think it could provide an interesting sound. I'm just not sure whether it might obscure the melody.

Have you found a piece you like? It looks like there are some fun string quartets here.

I was wondering. If the 2nd violin part is not to difficult, could my sister double the 2nd violin part?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:54 AM
Expert Registered User

I suppose . Does she know vibrato yet?

I particularily like how the christmas songs sound. Obviously there may need to be a few little changes to the parts, particularily if there are any doublestops (two notes played at once). Also, if you see 'pizz' written somewhere, just play staccato. Can I know specifically what the range of the flute and piccolo are? And am I right that the piccolo is played an octave higher than it's music is written?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
I suppose . Does she know vibrato yet?

I particularily like how the christmas songs sound. Obviously there may need to be a few little changes to the parts, particularily if there are any doublestops (two notes played at once). Also, if you see 'pizz' written somewhere, just play staccato. Can I know specifically what the range of the flute and piccolo are? And am I right that the piccolo is played an octave higher than it's music is written?
Umm... No she hasn't learned vibrato. (Still working on vibrato myself .)

The christmas songs are cool. With doublestops I guess you could try and find the melody note in the doublestop and play that, or for an accompaniment part arpeggiation might be an option.

Well the flutes range is from middle C (or the B below depending on the flute, my flute can for instance) to the C three octaves above that. Though I would be more comfortable only playing up to the G four ledger lines above the staff. I'm not sure what range Piccologurl would be comfortable playing. The piccolo has about the same range except I think the highest note are a little harder to reach and it only goes down to D instead of C, and the piccolo does sound an octave higher than written.

I also noticed that there is an optional 3rd violin part for the christmas carols that my sister might be able to play.