Go Back   Virtual Sheet Music Forums > Classical Music Discussions > Instruments > Alto Saxophone
User Name or E-Mail Address
Password

Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Expert Registered User

Send a message via MSN to CDH35
Default College

Hey everyone,
I've been playing saxophone for 8 years and have gotten pretty good. Now I'm going to college soon and I would really like your help. Does anyone have any idea what the best college in America is for woodwind instruments? Mainly saxophone,clarinet, etc. If anyone has any ideas, plz tell me. Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Mentor Registered User

Try Eastman School of Music. I think you'll be happy. They have a AWESOME Wind Ensemble.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Expert Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKB
Try Eastman School of Music. I think you'll be happy. They have a AWESOME Wind Ensemble.

Thanks for the Advice. I'll check it out.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Mentor Registered User

Location: Location?? What do you mean??? Uh oh...I'M LOST AGAIN!!!!
Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

My top choices:

~Juilliard
~Berklee
~Oberlin Conservatory
~Florida State
~James Madison University

There's a lot of great music schools in the US. Go into a search for music conservatories in america, and it'll give you this gigantic list of stuff on one of the sites. Just read up on them.

Good luck!!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Lee
My top choices:

~Juilliard
~Berklee
~Oberlin Conservatory
~Florida State
~James Madison University

There's a lot of great music schools in the US. Go into a search for music conservatories in america, and it'll give you this gigantic list of stuff on one of the sites. Just read up on them.

Good luck!!

Just curious, where does Rice University's music school rate these days? I was a science major there back in '91. They built the Shepard School of Music Building around the time that I left.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Mentor Registered User

Send a message via AIM to Francesca Lee Send a message via MSN to Francesca Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Francesca Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinViolin
Just curious, where does Rice University's music school rate these days? I was a science major there back in '91. They built the Shepard School of Music Building around the time that I left.

I think I've heard of them...they may be in a music college preparation guide I got recently; I dunno though I'll look them up and tell you, though.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Zealot Registered User

Quote:
I think I've heard of them...they may be in a music college preparation guide I got recently; I dunno though I'll look them up and tell you, though.

This is the link to the Sheperd School of Music:

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~musi/

But, I'm a little biased towards Rice since I went there Looks like total enrollment in the music school is 300, with 125 undergraduates.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:

I just finished reading up on the Shepherd School of Music, and am very impressed. They have jumped up to being one of the most prestigious music schools in the country and have some AWESOME fuculty. The flute professor was principal and secondary flutist for both the Boston Symphony Orchestra AND the Boston Pops Orchestra!!! The trumpet professor looks interesting too. I haven't read up on anyone else, but here's the site if anyone wants to read up on them: Shepherd School of Music
Old 01-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Expert Registered User

I have actually been looking at Itaca's School of Music. Their sax department is supposed to be great. Have any of you people ever heard if its any good or not?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Mentor Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDH35
I have actually been looking at Itaca's School of Music. Their sax department is supposed to be great. Have any of you people ever heard if its any good or not?

Never heard of it, but I can look it up for ya and tell you what I think about it. *goes to read up on it*

EDIT: I just read up on Ithaca School of Music. It sounds like it has a decent enough sax teacher. It wouldn't be to great for flute majors, but saxophonists could definately go for it. I didn't read anything else, just the professors though.

Last edited by Francesca Lee : 01-29-2006 at 09:11 PM.